2017-18 Husker opponents

13 hours ago, HuskerCager said:

I have to think that the full year schedule would be released any day now?

7 of the 14 teams in conference have released thus far. I think it should be pretty soon but it's possible it couple be a couple more weeks.

Hot off the presses.

If you're "we need to schedule the max number of games" guy, we did.

Nebraska 2017-18 Non-Conference Schedule
Date                                        Opponent                                                                Location
Saturday, Nov. 11                   Eastern Illinois                                                        Pinnacle Bank Arena
Monday, Nov. 13                    North Texas                                                            Pinnacle Bank Arena

Thursday, Nov. 16                   at St. John’s 
(Gavitt Tipoff Games)                           New York, N.Y. (Carnesecca Arena)
Sunday, Nov. 19                     North Dakota                                                          Pinnacle Bank Arena
Thursday, Nov. 23                   vs. UCF 
(Advocare Invitational)                                Orlando, Fla. (HP Field House)
Friday, Nov. 24                        vs. West Virginia/Marist 
(Advocare Invitational)    Orlando, Fla. (HP Field House)
Sunday, Nov. 26                      vs. TBA 
(Advocare Invitational)                                Orlando, Fla. (HP Field House)
Wednesday, Nov. 29              vs. Boston College 
(B1G/ACC Challenge)                Pinnacle Bank Arena
Saturday, Dec. 9                      at Creighton                                                            Omaha, Neb. (CenturyLink Center)
Saturday, Dec. 16                   Kansas 
(Shelter Insurance Showdown)                    Pinnacle Bank Arena
Wednesday, Dec. 20              UTSA                                                                       Pinnacle Bank Arena
Friday, Dec. 22                       Delaware State                                                      Pinnacle Bank Arena
Friday, Dec. 29                       Stetson                                                                    Pinnacle Bank Arena

11 minutes ago, hhcdimes said:

Hot off the presses.

Date                                        Opponent                                                                Location
Saturday, Nov. 11                   Eastern Illinois                                                        Pinnacle Bank Arena
Monday, Nov. 13                    North Texas                                                            Pinnacle Bank Arena

(Gavitt Tipoff Games)                           New York, N.Y. (Carnesecca Arena)
Sunday, Nov. 19                     North Dakota                                                          Pinnacle Bank Arena
Saturday, Dec. 9                      at Creighton                                                            Omaha, Neb. (CenturyLink Center)
Wednesday, Dec. 20              UTSA                                                                       Pinnacle Bank Arena
Friday, Dec. 22                       Delaware State                                                      Pinnacle Bank Arena
Friday, Dec. 29                       Stetson                                                                    Pinnacle Bank Arena

Should be able to swing 9-4 there even without Copeland.   Do that and  you have a chance to break even in the Big 10 and dance.

Kenpom rankings (from last year):

Eastern Illinois: #220

North Texas #320

St. Johns: #99

North Dakota: #168

UCF: #68

(Two more games here, one of which will include either West Virginia at #7 or Marist at #312 )

Boston College: #173

Creighton: #28

Kansas: #6

UTSA: #251

Delaware St: #339

Stetson: #319

So top tier games: Creighton, Kansas (and West Virginia?)

Middle Tier games: UCF, St. John's, North Dakota, Boston College

Lower Tier games: Eastern Illinois, UTSA.

Bottom of the barrel: North Texas, Delaware St., Stetson (and Marist?)

The schedule looks pretty good overall. Would like to see a win vs. UCF if only to avoid another bottom of the barrel game. 

10 minutes ago, uneblinstu said:

Where do the B1G games fit in?

Between BC and Creighton

One should be home, one away

We would either play Friday-Sunday or Saturday-Monday. I'll assume the B1G will show us some mercy since they have us scheduled on a Wednesday at BC

My guess would be

Saturday Dec. 2                     BIG TEN GAME

Monday Dec 4                     BIG TEN GAME

Edited by hhcdimes

39 minutes ago, hhcdimes said:

Hot off the presses.

This is looking a lot more like the Doc Sadler schedule that we were used to...

Eleven games of no Copeland if he doesn't win the appeal deal, nine not counting the Big Ten games.

Of those 9 non-con before he would be eligible, I'm guessing there's probably at least 6 we're either likely to win or likely to lose whether he plays or not.

That means, outside of the two league games, his presence might make a different in maybe no more than three of those 9 games before he's eligible, assuming he isn't granted an exception or whatever it would be. 

So, if he doesn't win the appeal, his fellas better take care of business against St. John's, UCF, and the third Advocare game.

Also, I wish I didn't see so many teams in the 300s.  Would be nice if a couple of those were at least mid-200s.  Which means we need to beat UCF so that we can play West VA instead of Marist.  Better to lose against a top 10 team than beat #312.

Edited by Norm Peterson

2 hours ago, HuskerFever said:

This is looking a lot more like the Doc Sadler schedule that we were used to...

Just because it's no longer the hardest schedule doesn't mean it's that soft. We're playing on the road and not a SWAC team to be found

I'm a schedule all the games  you can guy, so nice to see them using that St. Johns game as the 4th Advocare game to get to 31 games - smart way to do it.

I know N Dakota has a bit of a reputation as a cheap shot team, so hopefully Coach Miles can avoid going Fran after that game - that's definitely the trap game on there.

2 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

Also, I wish I didn't see so many teams in the 300s.  Would be nice if a couple of those were at least mid-200s.  Which means we need to beat UCF so that we can play West VA instead of Marist.  Better to lose against a top 10 team than beat #312.

Eh, I think this is a pretty reasonable schedule given where this team's at.

I think this schedule is just what Miles needs to save his job.

Assuming we take care of our six "cupcake" games (big assumption i know), boston college and st johns are both winnable games. And a good showing in the tourney could have us at 10-3 non conference record.

Big Ten is gonna be a grind this yr no matter what. 

Edited by khoock

4 hours ago, hhcdimes said:

Just because it's no longer the hardest schedule doesn't mean it's that soft. We're playing on the road and not a SWAC team to be found

I had suspicions my comment may be taken in this light by some. I was meaning more by going for a manageable schedule that doesn't overbear us with top RPI talent, but we have a shot at getting a quality record out of the non-conference slate. Miles seemed to originally focus on getting a top 50 non-conference slate where a 7-6 record might get you a similar result to Doc's 10-3 record. This schedule seems to be somewhere in between.