2016-2017 outlook

bigFRED

1. Miles said Ed Morrow might be most powerful guy on team. Said he powers through Jordy all the time in practice, and that’s not a knock on JT

1 retweet1 like

Retweet

More

Miles said Tai Webster could play 1-2-3 this season, and Glynn Watson could play both 1-2. Evan Taylor can also play the 1 or 2.

0 retweets0 likes

Retweet

More

Miles said he’s not as much worried about Tshimanga’s conditioning, it’s staying out of foul trouble. Biggest adjustment is physicality.

0 retweets1 like

Retweet

More

Tim Miles on throwing Jordy Tshimanga into the fire right away: "He’s going to play. I didn’t recruit him to do anything slow."

1 retweet3 likes

Retweet

More

Miles said he’s going to play Jordy Tshimanga right away whether he’s ready or not. Has skill/ability, needs to “pick up on nuances of game"

1 retweet1 like

Retweet

More

Miles notes that Jacobson, McVeigh, and Roby (when's he's healthy) all have a shot to start at the 4.

I find it interesting that he does not mention Morrow.

I could be wrong but I believe coach mentioned Morrow here:

https://twitter.com/RobinWashut/status/783735260785745920

I've said it and I'm going to keep saying it. Morrow is going to be an absolute beast for us this season. We saw maybe 35% of what he can do last year due to injury. 10 and 10 would not surprise me at all and that is with Jordy down low and Jacobson in the mix too.

Miles notes that Jacobson, McVeigh, and Roby (when's he's healthy) all have a shot to start at the 4.

I meant interesting that he did not mention Morrow as a possibility to start at the 4. If I remember correctly, Morrow wasn't super happy about playing center last year. Maybe that changed since he bulked up and has gotten healthy or maybe Miles was just trying to throw out some extra names.

In my head the four spot has always been between Morrow and Jacobson. If Jordy can start at center then MJ prob starts at the 4. If you don't start Jordy then you start both MJ and EM as your front court.

That must be at the 5 spot, not the 4 that others like Jake, McVeigh, and Roby were mentioned for.

I meant interesting that he did not mention Morrow as a possibility to start at the 4. If I remember correctly, Morrow wasn't super happy about playing center last year. Maybe that changed since he bulked up and has gotten healthy or maybe Miles was just trying to throw out some extra names.

In my head the four spot has always been between Morrow and Jacobson. If Jordy can start at center then MJ prob starts at the 4. If you don't start Jordy then you start both MJ and EM as your front court.

My bad.  Reading comprehension sometimes isn't my strong suit.

I would like to see us have a more creative and dynamic offense this year.  I think we improved a bit last year over previous years, but I'm hoping with more options we will see much more diverse offensive sets and schemes. 

I think that the new assistant coach from the Indiana area, Michael Lewis, being an offensive wizard of sorts, I would bank on Nebraska having a boost in offensive creativity.

I'm not especially worried about chemistry or leadership on this team. There's not going to be much in the way of strong senior leadership, but I feel it's a tight group of guys who will gel and play well together. I see three primary issues that I feel need to be resolved in a positive way in order for the team to take a step forward this year:

1) Scoring - A lot of PPG walked out the door with Shields and AWIII. Obviously, Anton Gill will be expected to contribute a large portion of that lost scoring. The rest will be distributed among many players, and obviously we'll need to see increased scoring production from all of last year's freshmen. We'll also need Isaiah, Jordy and Jeriah to pick up some of that slack. I'm really hoping to see better ball movement this year as well.

2) 3-Point Defense - Last year's team was the worst I've ever seen at defending the three. I know this has been a point of emphasis for the staff during the off-season, and we'll need to do a far better job of defending the perimeter this year if the team wants to take a step forward. Last year's ridiculous three-point shooting by opponents was one of the most frustrating things I've ever endured as a Husker hoops fan. It was just brutal to watch.

3) Low-Post Defense - I feel the team's low-post defense will be much better this year as a result of adding Jordy to the roster, but also due to the development, both physically and mentally, of Jacobson and Morrow. Jordy's probably a year away from being a potentially dominant low-post defender, but the team should be able to handle opposing centers and power forwards much better than they did last year.

I'm not especially worried about chemistry or leadership on this team. There's not going to be much in the way of strong senior leadership, but I feel it's a tight group of guys who will gel and play well together. I see three primary issues that I feel need to be resolved in a positive way in order for the team to take a step forward this year:

1) Scoring - A lot of PPG walked out the door with Shields and AWIII. Obviously, Anton Gill will be expected to contribute a large portion of that lost scoring. The rest will be distributed among many players, and obviously we'll need to see increased scoring production from all of last year's freshmen. We'll also need Isaiah, Jordy and Jeriah to pick up some of that slack. I'm really hoping to see better ball movement this year as well.

2) 3-Point Defense - Last year's team was the worst I've ever seen at defending the three. I know this has been a point of emphasis for the staff during the off-season, and we'll need to do a far better job of defending the perimeter this year if the team wants to take a step forward. Last year's ridiculous three-point shooting by opponents was one of the most frustrating things I've ever endured as a Husker hoops fan. It was just brutal to watch.

3) Low-Post Defense - I feel the team's low-post defense will be much better this year as a result of adding Jordy to the roster, but also due to the development, both physically and mentally, of Jacobson and Morrow. Jordy's probably a year away from being a potentially dominant low-post defender, but the team should be able to handle opposing centers and power forwards much better than they did last year.

Good points.  2 and 3 are one in the same.  If we can defend the low post without having to double down, we can lock up on 3 point shooters.  Alex Maric gave us the ability to do that and I thought we defended well Doc's first year.  It went downhill after that because of a lack on someone who could guard the block one on one.