2016-2017 outlook

bigFRED

I'm having trouble figuring out what to expect this year from this team. It is a great bunch of guys and i like each and everyone, so i think we will have great chemistry. But:

1. Will Tai, Glynn, and Anton be our only source of scoring? With Shavon, AWIII, and Roby being hurt can we pretty much write off any significant scoring coming from people besides guards?

2. Will we be able to defend the solid forwards of our league? Our guard D will be great as usual and with Jordy and Michael being stronger our post D shouldn't be as bad. But what about the solid 3 men in the Big Ten that we will face? Jack isn't a great defender, Fuller can D up but won't see exclusive minutes, and again I'm really hoping that Isaiah isn't hurt on and off all season.

3. What can we expect record wise from this team??

(4. I really hope we play UCLA, that will be a fun game against NBA level talent.)

three keys

1. your freshmen have to gel immediately

2. your two sophomores have to show massive growth

3. gill has to be all that has been advertised

Revised version:

1. Our three freshmen need to contribute and gel as the season goes along

2. Our four sophomores, who saw lots of minutes last year, need to make steady improvement

3. Gill needs to be productive

4. Tai needs to provide leadership

I want to be optimistic, but remain on the fence until I see the following things:

1.  Leadership.  Tai is the most likely source to produce that, but it will be impossible to replicate the level of on-court leadership that Shields provided.  The dude was a three-time captain.  That can't just be replaced.

2. Camaraderie.  Much has been said about this team looking like they're bonding and enjoying each other as teammates.  Might I remind you that the same comments were made about last year's team.  Also, it worries me ever-so-slightly that in all these pics and videos of the team having a great time together, I don't recall seeing Gill in them.  Hoping that we don't see another AWIII/hired mercenary mentality from our stud transfer.  We need Gill to produce, but we also need Gill to be a great teammate.

3. Just win, baby.  We will know within the first month whether or not the pieces are in place for a good year.  Early games against Dayton, possibly UCLA, and Clemson will tell us what this team is made of. 

Someone doesn't have a very rosy outlook on this season...

http://collegebasketball.nbcsports.com/2016/09/28/2016-17-season-preview-programs-on-the-rise-decline/

Nebraska: Tim Miles arrived with a lot of enthusiasm four years ago and Nebraska opened a $180-million arena in 2013, but the Huskers have just one NCAA tournament appearance and three losing seasons to show for it. The late grad transfer of Andrew White is a major blow, and Nebraska simply doesn’t have a ton of talent or experience on the roster, nor do they appear to be making any major gains on the recruiting trail. Simply put, Miles is finding out what all his predecessors have – it’s very hard to win in Lincoln.

I am not convinced that Tai is the leader just because he is a senior.  Not saying he isn't, or that he can't be.  Tai wasn't here most of the summer.  He was playing for the New Zealand team.  He needed to be there, doing that.  That said, there were players back in Lincoln working out and working on their games.  Which players were there and who provided the leadership at that time?

I am not convinced that Tai is the leader just because he is a senior. Not saying he isn't, or that he can't be. Tai wasn't here most of the summer. He was playing for the New Zealand team. He needed to be there, doing that. That said, there were players back in Lincoln working out and working on their games. Which players were there and who provided the leadership at that time?

Glynn Watson

I think this will become Glyn's team this year and MJ will also step up and become a leader. I love Tai but do not think it is his personality but I think he has a great year. The defense will be much much better It will come down to the Sophs really taking a big leap and 1-2 showing they can consistently knock down jump shots.

I think we are pleasantly surprised and I love that no one outside of NE expects anything from us. 

I'm having trouble figuring out what to expect this year from this team. It is a great bunch of guys and i like each and everyone, so i think we will have great chemistry. But:

1. Will Tai, Glynn, and Anton be our only source of scoring? With Shavon, AWIII, and Roby being hurt can we pretty much write off any significant scoring coming from people besides guards?

2. Will we be able to defend the solid forwards of our league? Our guard D will be great as usual and with Jordy and Michael being stronger our post D shouldn't be as bad. But what about the solid 3 men in the Big Ten that we will face? Jack isn't a great defender, Fuller can D up but won't see exclusive minutes, and again I'm really hoping that Isaiah isn't hurt on and off all season.

(4. I really hope we play UCLA, that will be a fun game against NBA level talent.)

Lot's of unknowns so its tough to say....development from last years freshman class? Will we be healthy? Can Jordy provide valuable minutes? Will Gill be a double digit scorer(needed)? Is Roby ready for the Big Ten grind?  One thing I don't get and I've seen it written several times...is those around the nation questioning the talent level on the roster.  I'm guessing not a lot of research goes into that.  One thing I will say is...if we can come out of the non-con okay I think our Big 10 schedule sets up very well for us.  Two tough road games right off the bat that we will likely go 0-2 in but after that at have a stretch of Iowa, NW, @Mich, OSU, @Rutgers,   @NW, Purdue, MSU.....I think we need to find a way to get 5-6 wins in that stretch.  And that's doable IMO.   

Lot's of unknowns so its tough to say....development from last years freshman class? Will we be healthy? Can Jordy provide valuable minutes? Will Gill be a double digit scorer(needed)? Is Roby ready for the Big Ten grind?  One thing I don't get and I've seen it written several times...is those around the nation questioning the talent level on the roster.  I'm guessing not a lot of research goes into that.  One thing I will say is...if we can come out of the non-con okay I think our Big 10 schedule sets up very well for us.  Two tough road games right off the bat that we will likely go 0-2 in but after that at have a stretch of Iowa, NW, @Mich, OSU, @Rutgers,   @NW, Purdue, MSU.....I think we need to find a way to get 5-6 wins in that stretch.  And that's doable IMO.   

yea i dont get the talent level comment either, i get the experience, and they belief that will really miss andrew white (personally i dont think we'll miss him as much as people say considering his propensity to disappear last season)

http://collegebasketball.nbcsports.com/2016/09/28/2016-17-season-preview-programs-on-the-rise-decline/

Nebraska: Tim Miles arrived with a lot of enthusiasm four years ago and Nebraska opened a $180-million arena in 2013, but the Huskers have just one NCAA tournament appearance and three losing seasons to show for it. The late grad transfer of Andrew White is a major blow, and Nebraska simply doesn’t have a ton of talent or experience on the roster, nor do they appear to be making any major gains on the recruiting trail. Simply put, Miles is finding out what all his predecessors have – it’s very hard to win in Lincoln.

How can this program possibly be in decline?  Zero NCAA Tournament wins.  One NCAA Tournament appearance in the last eighteen years.  Only one season, ever, with more than 22 wins.  A conference record this century of 101 wins, 181 losses, and 31-59 all time in the Big Ten.  No NBA players out of the program since 1998.  And we are trending downward?  How exactly do you trend downward from that?

Now that you mention it; here all this time I thought you had to be considered 'up' before you could be thought of as 'going down.' ;)  (i.e there's not much below the cellar, or, in other words, "you have to step-up to step-down into a Hudson." lol.gif)

I rather like that no one (outside Huskerfan-land), is expecting much from the MBB team this year dighole.gif; or even giving us a catfight.gifchance.

I would much rather exceed under-expectations than fall short of irrational over-expectations.
koolaid2.gif

I think this will become Glyn's team this year and MJ will also step up and become a leader. I love Tai but do not think it is his personality but I think he has a great year. The defense will be much much better It will come down to the Sophs really taking a big leap and 1-2 showing they can consistently knock down jump shots.

I think we are pleasantly surprised and I love that no one outside of NE expects anything from us. 

I want to see more but I think that Anton Gill is going to factor in on the leadership/calming aspect of the team

I want to see more but I think that Anton Gill is going to factor in on the leadership/calming aspect of the team

That would be huge. I am confident in the sophs taking a big jump but if we can get Gill to be a leader and hit jumpers / double digit scorer I think we can be a MUCH better team than last year

Here is something else I will toss out there to chew on.  If we improve over last year, it is my opinion that it will be due to our defense.  Honestly Shavon and Andrew played with heart, but they had holes in their defensive play.  If those that replace those two end up being significant upgrades on the defensive side, it will likely far outweigh a few points in lost offensive production. 

Don't we have the two best recruiting classes we have had in a long time as freshmen and sophomores? And I would argue those are because of our year that resulted in a trip to the tournament. This program is still on the rise, it is just a rebuilding cycle that involves getting better recruits and getting better recruits because of winning more and so on

I LOVE the mentality the team is taking.  Good article this morning on HuskerExtra.  Love Tai's comment "If you ain't with us, get out".

http://journalstar.com/sports/huskers/mens-basketball/webster-says-picking-up-scoring-slack-on-my-mind-quite/article_46cccd5c-7192-538a-baad-75386d11cb6c.html