Anthem Protests

aksarben

OK I know this is a subject that has been beaten to death but just something to think about here.

We've all seen the uproar caused when three football players decided to make a statement last weekend. Normally this is not an issue since the football team is not on the field when the National Anthem is played here in Lincoln. This, however, is not the case with the basketball team as they are on the court as the anthem is played.

I would suggest that this issue be dealt with sooner rather than later by not having the team on the floor when the anthem is played. Unlike the football team where a few players could be relatively obscured when the anthem is being played (if they were on the field) this is not the case with the basketball team as they are all out there front and center. I would also add the fact that if the media would just ignore this and weren't so anxious to show this on TV or talk about it on talk shows this form of protest would fade away.

I personally am opposed to this type of protest but it is within their right to do so I guess. The thing that irritates me the most is the fact that I attend games for a fun diversion to get away from the political nonsense that has enveloped this country and other "troubles" of the day. Now politics have been brought into the venue and it's going to spoil the fun part of the games and pageantry associated with them.

All of this is just my opinion obviously but I am interested what others have to say.

I would suggest that this issue be dealt with sooner rather than later by not having the team on the floor when the anthem is played. 

Miles will deal with this the same way that Riley dealt with it: supporting any players that should feel like they need to take a knee including the guys who weren't even born in the US that are part of the team.  If your point is about trying to not be a distraction, pulling the team off the floor during the anthem will do nothing but be a distraction.

If you really want to get into the weeds about it, why do we even play the national anthem at sporting events?

I found it interesting that there has been some 1,000 responses on the Journal/Star about this topic.  This was the same day as the huge article about how LPS is handing Transgender students.  There has only been about 100 so responses on that.

Interesting what at this time is more of a bell cow topic with people right now.  Or maybe it was just timing.  Just something I found interesting.

Facing these issues head on and discussing them/allowing discourse is a lot braver than avoiding them altogether.  There are plenty of marginalized groups in this country--particularly black people--who have every right not to salute oppression.  

Coach Pop is the greatest basketball coach of all time, in my opinion.  One of the reasons why is because he's extremely honest and he empowers/challenges his players intellectually.  Here's his response:  

Readers interested in this topic should be sure to see Buzz Williams' response posted by Norm in the College Sports section. For what it is worth,  old jimmy is a veteran who is not particularly bothered by the protest although many others certainly disagree. I feel the topic has been covered quite adequately already by the national media and other protest groups and athletes are not adding much to the dialogue at this time except to increase the level of discord we already have. By the way, the anthem was originally an English drinking song which was played sporadically at baseball games beginning in 1897, but did not become accepted before games until WWII was underway. For more information on how the "tradition" was started, refer to Steve Rushin's book, "The 34-Ton Bat". If fans and media just ignored the situation, it would die out rather quickly.

im all for this form of peaceful demonstration, athletes have a right to voice their opinion on important social issues, and often carry a tremendous platform to effect change. Sports and politics have gone hand in hand since their creation, yes we go to them for distraction but they have always played an important role in social change, and political development. So with that i encourage the three young men that kneeled on Saturday to continue to do, and to continue to encourage discussion and change, and i would encourage any of are wonderful young men on the basketball team as well. 

Thank you President Bounds for your prompt and vigorous support of free speech. Hopefully it would be as forthright if a few players decide to wear swastikas and shout Heil Hitler at the next game.

Well stated, jimmy.  It's easy to stand up for free speech rights when it's an opinion you agree with that's being challenged.  Not so much when someone is speaking words that offend you.  But, that's when it really matters.  Unfortunately, most college campuses today aren't that open minded.  They tend to lean towards the progressive way of thought being the only "acceptable" mode of thinking.  So far, the University, beginning with Coach Riley, has handled this decently.

I am, however, disappointed in both Pete Ricketts and Hal Daub.  Most on this board know I am a conservative constitutionalist when it comes to politics.  Why do either of these men give a rat's ass what 3 college students do during the playing of the National Anthem?  My question to both of these politicos is how did you let this nation get to the point where people have to choose between two crooked liars to hold the highest office in this land?  Yet you have time to pontificate on whether or not a football field is the place to make a statement, however misguided you might believe it to be.  You both can eat me.

Both college and pro sports have become such a large pillar of American society that its only natural for politics to make its way onto the field, one way or another. I personally have no problem with athletes using the platform they've worked so hard to achieve for the expression of political opinions. I don't find the act itself annoying, but all of the crappy regurgitated media coverage/facebook sh*tposting we're forced to put up with about it.

I found it interesting that there has been some 1,000 responses on the Journal/Star about this topic.  This was the same day as the huge article about how LPS is handing Transgender students.  There has only been about 100 so responses on that.

Interesting what at this time is more of a bell cow topic with people right now.  Or maybe it was just timing.  Just something I found interesting.

This is purely my opinion, but I have to think that most people are afraid to chime in on the latter article you refer to.  Either of getting people really offended at you, or worse, getting in trouble at your job because somehow your comments found their way back to your employer.  I read that article and was somewhat compelled to make a comment, but I just said nah, I don't want to stir up a hornets nest. 

The thing that irritates me the most is the fact that I attend games for a fun diversion to get away from the political nonsense that has enveloped this country and other "troubles" of the day. Now politics have been brought into the venue and it's going to spoil the fun part of the games and pageantry associated with them.

Ya know, I have some fundamental disagreements with your original post but we're just on different spectrums and I totally respect your opinion.

But I must admit I really didn't think of this issue in regards to what I quoted from your post. The more I think of it - now I see where, maybe, 75% of the angst against this protest are coming from. I don't think it has as much to do with "the flag" or "blm" or "police relations" etc... I think people are just super annoyed that the one thing that's not politics is sort of being taken away from them and stuff they wanted to ignore is being shoved in their face. Maybe the point of the protest, but surely annoying to the average fan that harbors no ill will and just wants to watch some dang football.

Good point. Appreciate your perspective.

I found myself almost in tears as I watched Michael Rose-Ivey speak from the heart. You could hear the pain in his words. I totally support what he, Barry, and Neal are doing. Hopefully more and more of our fans see that these young men are just wanting equality, something, unfortunately, that our country hasn't given to all people. And I love our country, but I'd be blind and lying if I said it's perfect. We still have a long ways to go as a society. The saddest part was hearing the racial slurs and threats on his life. Some people are just downright assholes. Oh, one more thing...Daub and Ricketts bother me. They are entitled to their opinion, but they showed no compassion towards a young man who has lived a totally different life than them.

The thing that irritates me the most is the fact that I attend games for a fun diversion to get away from the political nonsense that has enveloped this country and other "troubles" of the day. Now politics have been brought into the venue and it's going to spoil the fun part of the games and pageantry associated with them.

Ya know, I have some fundamental disagreements with your original post but we're just on different spectrums and I totally respect your opinion.

But I must admit I really didn't think of this issue in regards to what I quoted from your post. The more I think of it - now I see where, maybe, 75% of the angst against this protest are coming from. I don't think it has as much to do with "the flag" or "blm" or "police relations" etc... I think people are just super annoyed that the one thing that's not politics is sort of being taken away from them and stuff they wanted to ignore is being shoved in their face. Maybe the point of the protest, but surely annoying to the average fan that harbors no ill will and just wants to watch some dang football.

Good point. Appreciate your perspective.

BINGO....this is exactly what I'm saying! While I do not agree with the protest I understand that it is their right to do so peacefully and that's fine, as long as it does not become a major distraction from the purpose of what is supposed to be occurring in the stadium/arena in the first place.

I am, however, disappointed in both Pete Ricketts and Hal Daub.

Oh, one more thing...Daub and Ricketts bother me. They are entitled to their opinion, but they showed no compassion towards a young man who has lived a totally different life than them.

More to come:

"Ricketts will meet next week with Husker linebacker Michael Rose-Ivey, who knelt during national anthem"

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/football/ricketts-will-meet-with-husker-linebacker-michael-rose-ivey-who/article_074f3a22-84f4-11e6-b72f-3730d0366e5c.html

Since the players are not on the field for the anthem here, there should be no problem this week. Does anyone know how the pregame sequence at Indiana is arranged? I'll guess we have a few more players join the original three if the team is on the field there. Hopefully the meeting next week will result in some sort of mutually amicable statement and the team's full attention can return to playing football.

Since the players are not on the field for the anthem here, there should be no problem this week. Does anyone know how the pregame sequence at Indiana is arranged? I'll guess we have a few more players join the original three if the team is on the field there. Hopefully the meeting next week will result in some sort of mutually amicable statement and the team's full attention can return to playing football.

I thought the players who knelt said this was a one time thing and that it wouldn't be something that they continue to do week after week.