2018 recruiting Big Board

Row6Seat10

35 minutes ago, Row6Seat10 said:

Damaged goods? She's blew out her knee twice now.

I watched her play a few times and I'm not sure how the recruiting services had her rated so high. Her play reminded me of Hannah Trvdy.

She must not have fully recovered from her blown ACL as a freshman then because when I used to watch her play (which I admit was up until the blown ACL), I wouldn't have made that comparison at all.  Does anyone know if the torn meniscus is the same knee that had the ACL tear?  If she can stay healthy, she is a good pick up for Creighton.  Maybe the strength and conditioning program at Creighton will help.

Sam Haiby (2018)...remember the name.

She was one of the recruits that visited yesterday. Outstanding scorer. Plays for the Moorhead Spuds located in the northwest par of Minnesota.  She's slid under the recruiting services radar but still is attracting quite a few D-1 schools. Sounds as if the Husker have been on her list for quite a while now as the coaches started recruiting her when she was a freshman in high school.  the following video is the game recently against Husker recruit Kayla Mershon's Minnetonka team. Kayla is number 15 for Minnetonka and Sam's number 4 for Moorhead. On a side note she also is a pitcher and outfielder for the Moorhead boys baseball team and last year had a 2-1 record on the mound.

Really like the Haiby girl. Very athletic, and obviously can score, which is defiantly what we need. Most of the B!G teams have several true shooters. We need more...when we score better as a team, we come much closer to a win.(not exactly rocket science) Haiby would have to adjust her game some what, to the college level. (but who doesn't)

Crystal ball.....wouldn't Haiby and the Minter girl (McKenna ?) be an awesome pair in Big Red uniforms?

Kayla wasn't having a great game  in the vodeo... until later in the game. Then showed better skills. She's a post ? She 's an inside player...reminds me some what of Cady when she was in H.S. Doesn't appear to be wing material, but hard to tell in that video. She's inside in HS because her size alone. Some other videos I've seen, she played better. HB, yes, she will need some time to develop. She's tall, and lanky, will take some maturing and growing,  .....to grow into her body athletically. But there's no substitute for 6-3 that can jump.

Edited by redsteve

Here's a little bit more info on Leigha. As I gather more I'll post it.

• Leigha Brown, 6-1 G/F, DeKalb

Leigha has a reputation in northeast Indiana, but she’s not well-known statewide. She is a long, fluid and highly skilled wing prospect who is starting to create some buzz in recruiting circles. She can handle it at times like a point guard and run offense, can knock down shoots with range well beyond the 3-point line and can play most positions on the floor at either end. She will need to get stronger, but she’s already picked up a few Division I offers, including one following Tuesday’s event

Image result for leigha brown dekalb

19 minutes ago, mwm89 said:

I like that she's a guard over 6', and her season avg. #s are up there.  I only see a couple of other offers from lower D1 schools.  What level of HS ball is this school?

To compare to Nebraska's high schools DeKalb High which she attends would probably be in Class C-1. This year they had an enrollment of just under 1900 students. 

1 hour ago, Row6Seat10 said:

To compare to Nebraska's high schools DeKalb High which she attends would probably be in Class C-1. This year they had an enrollment of just under 1900 students. 

Okay, that was kind of my hunch as far as school size.  Thanks for the input!

On 2/27/2017 at 11:00 AM, HB said:

Hard to tell the level of competition, but based on that film Haiby looked good.  Mershon looked like a project. 

Yea,   both teams look pretty weak.....it's hard to tell just exactly where the skill level might be if playing much better competition. But they' re juniors. Will have a summer of club ball and another HS season......the recruits need the playing time. Haiby might adapt pretty quick to a faster paced game. It almost seems she's kind of held back by the caliber of play around her.

Just isn't much doubt, playing in the upper classes all the time, will help develop kids to a higher level. ...any sport. There's exceptions of course, but it still applies most of the time. The Minter girl looks better than Haiby......more aggressive....and polished even as a freshman.

Just a guess, but we may have a bit of a disadvantage recruiting right now, because of our rough year we just had. Kind of a catch 22....have to win in order to get the attention of better players.

This reply pertains to several topics brought up recently.

1.  Concerns about recruiting players from smaller schools.  Several examples of such players that went on to great careers have been given.  I will add another although from volleyball.  Mikaela Foecke was from Iowa 1A which is the smallest class.  26 students in her grade.  Although she played for a good club team her high school years with lesser competition sure didn't hurt her.  

2.  With a losing team it is hard to get better players.  I believe that the Coach and staff doing the recruiting have more in getting recruits to buy into their program then a losing record has in hindering it especially in the first year.  If the losing continues at it's present pace then that's a different story.

Nice interview. She sounds like an articulate and smart girl.  Very dedicated to BBall, works hard to improve.  Has high aspirations...mentioned Notre Dame, UConn, Tenn, etc. But later she spoke about some wants she has for a new school (college).

Also heard them mention she was 6-2 I think, so she would probably be a wing as  they desribe...apparently can shot the long shoot.

Anyone found any game video? Where else she might be visiting ?

Edited by redsteve

On ‎3‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 1:57 PM, redsteve said:

Nice interview. She sounds like an articulate and smart girl.  Very dedicated to BBall, works hard to improve.  Has high aspirations...mentioned Notre Dame, UConn, Tenn, etc. But later she spoke about some wants she has for a new school (college).

Also heard them mention she was 6-2 I think, so she would probably be a wing as  they desribe...apparently can shot the long shoot.

Anyone found any game video? Where else she might be visiting ?

Here's a video I found on Leigha Brown and some of her highlights from last season. Sort of a unfocused video and hard to read the numbers, she's the one usually playing the 1 with long dark hair. It's a highlight video, so we're getting to see her best plays, but from what it does show she's deadly from behind the arc and can find the open girl under the bucket.  

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1yl0miboo5fg65s/soph.Leigha.WMV?dl=0

Edited by Row6Seat10