Updates

seaofred92

Then why did Miles go down and ask him to play for Nebraska?

He pulled a bunch of the other guys offers so why did he do this if he didn't think that Benny would help?

Just seems that if he made the effort to go to KC and keep Benny from going some place else, he wanted him here for 4 years.

Not just one and then cut ties.

Miles has shown he is willing to play with guys he has picked up at try outs so I don't think he "kept" Benny for any other reason than that he will be a contributor to the team, for more than just this year.

I could be wrong but it seems weird if he did.

I think you're right about this, Silver.  I understand what NUdiehard is saying about the kind of guards Miles likes, BUT ...

Miles has ALSO said that he recruited Benny while he, Miles, was at Colorado State.  He backed off of Benny only because teams like Nebraska got involved and he figured he wouldn't be able to compete with the bigger conference schools.

When Miles was at CSU, he obviously knew what kind of player Benny was and what his stature was.  If he wanted only tall guards who can light it up, then why would he have been recruiting Benny to CSU?

My guess to the answer is that, among the different types of players Miles likes, he likes long guards who are interchangeable at the wing position (i.e., they can play either the 2 or the 3.)  That's why you see him recruiting so many players in the 6'4" to 6'7" range, the Petteways and Hawkinses and Fullers when we already have guys like Rivers and Shields.

I know Miles has said that it's a disadvantage on this team THIS YEAR to have a PG who can't shoot because then the opposing D only has to cover 4 players.  That's a big problem THIS YEAR because we're pretty limited otherwise.  But there are lots of really effective point guards who don't shoulder a big scoring load and maybe aren't the best shooters.  I think Benny probably needs to improve his shooting to make opposing Ds at least play honest, BUT HE'S A TRUE FRESHMAN!  He has time to learn.  I think his on-ball defense is solid and you give him time to develop before writing the kid off.

But didn't Miles pull like 3 other offers?

Well, no, because they had all signed already.  He did release three guys, but I don't think he said, sorry, SOL.  I'd imagine it was more like here's what we're going to do, do you want to stick around or not.

Story was he couldn't get ahold of Fahro to talk to him.  I think he kicked Josiah Moore off the team after some legal problems, perhaps?

He did release Coleman and Young.  I don't know the story behind those guys or why.  If they were loyal to Doc or they didn't think they'd fit Miles system, that happens.  But it seems like typically coaches let signed commits remain committed if they want to.

I can tell you Fahro wanted to come here so it's safe to say he released all three Jucos.

Moore transferred.  Hilliard was let go.