2016 Husker Football season

Huskerpapa

18 minutes ago, HB said:

Thanks,Bugs.  I think we'll drive.  Flights are ridiculously expensive, and air travel sucks anymore. 

If you haven't been, Nashville is a fun city for all ages. Obviously visit Broadway Street, listen to some live music, maybe hit up the Country Music Hall of Fame, find some of the off-the-path neighborhoods for food and bars, and get some 'hot chicken.' Regarding traffic, you may only encounter setbacks around St. Louis and metro Nashville. Tennessee has some great scenery to keep you busy, although I'm sure it's not quite the same in the wintertime.

On 12/6/2016 at 9:22 AM, HuskerFever said:

If you haven't been, Nashville is a fun city for all ages. Obviously visit Broadway Street, listen to some live music, maybe hit up the Country Music Hall of Fame, find some of the off-the-path neighborhoods for food and bars, and get some 'hot chicken.' Regarding traffic, you may only encounter setbacks around St. Louis and metro Nashville. Tennessee has some great scenery to keep you busy, although I'm sure it's not quite the same in the wintertime.

Any recommendations on where to stay?

53 minutes ago, HB said:

Any recommendations on where to stay?

It depends on your objective is, but there's a lot of good options. If you're looking to save some money and drive/Uber/taxi into the city, there are a lot of good hotels near the Nashville International Airport. Vanderbilt University has some hotels which is within a mile of the main Nashville strip which is also close to the hockey arena and football stadium. If you're looking for convenience, the hotels just north and south of Broadway street are most ideal. There's a lot of restaurants, live music, bars, museums, etc. within walking distance. I'm not as familiar with the hotels around the football stadium on the other side of the river. But just note, if you stay outside of the river and trying to get in (or vice versa), there may be a slight delay with heavy traffic crossing the bridge. Nothing too excessive, just be sure to plan for it. I have stayed around the airport and downtown in the past and I have had great experiences at both, although the amenities and service (and convenience) are far greater downtown. You really can't go wrong.

28 minutes ago, HuskerFever said:

It depends on your objective is, but there's a lot of good options. If you're looking to save some money and drive/Uber/taxi into the city, there are a lot of good hotels near the Nashville International Airport. Vanderbilt University has some hotels which is within a mile of the main Nashville strip which is also close to the hockey arena and football stadium. If you're looking for convenience, the hotels just north and south of Broadway street are most ideal. There's a lot of restaurants, live music, bars, museums, etc. within walking distance. I'm not as familiar with the hotels around the football stadium on the other side of the river. But just note, if you stay outside of the river and trying to get in (or vice versa), there may be a slight delay with heavy traffic crossing the bridge. Nothing too excessive, just be sure to plan for it. I have stayed around the airport and downtown in the past and I have had great experiences at both, although the amenities and service (and convenience) are far greater downtown. You really can't go wrong.

Thanks, Fever.  Great advice.   I like the part about being close to the bars.......

30 minutes ago, HB said:

Thanks, Fever.  Great advice.   I like the part about being close to the bars.......

Stay at the Clarion Hotel.  Good hotel, decent price, very near the stadium, and since I know you and the missus loves good ol country music, you wouldn't be to dern fer away from the Grand Ol Opry

• 4 weeks later...

I believe I counted 18 missed tackles in the first half.  The offense looks vanilla.  There was a lot of talk about us being ready to play --- but we were not.  Certainly missing our leaders on both offense and defense.  ughh.  Looks like we were/are playing to keep the game close rather than to win.  Tennessee's talent is markedly better than ours today.   

Edited by huskercwg

We need a huge influx of talent, especially on the defensive side.  You saw what an elite pass rusher can give you on the Tennessee side.  Gates is a good OL, and he was getting abused most of the night.

The offensive side will be alright, I think.  We need the OL to live up to their potential.  We need a QB who is accurate, can distribute the ball, can escape from pressure.  Need to find a playmaker, either a RB, or a WR. 

I got a huge chuckle from the color guy on ESPN.  He said Ryker Fyfe would get a look by an NFL team.  He has ZERO shot to make an NFL team, let alone get a call from an NFL team. 

10 minutes ago, brfrad said:

I got a huge chuckle from the color guy on ESPN.  He said Ryker Fyfe would get a look by an NFL team.  He has ZERO shot to make an NFL team, let alone get a call from an NFL team. 

As a sociology major, maybe Ryker can work in the NFL front offices investigating the culture of the organization. That's his shot.

1 hour ago, brfrad said:

Watching the Michigan game, Walker for FSU is doing the same thing Barnett did for Tennessee.  It just shows you, again, what an elite DE can do for you.  It is something we desperately need. 

They are out there, I am just not sure how we get them.  We used to be able to, but landing those players continue to be difficult.

I think we saw a team that was just spent, physically, mentally and emotionally.

It has been a long hard year for these kids.  Starting with Foltz and ending with some of our real leaders not being able to play.

They just looked like they need to get away from the sport for a week or two, regroup and get a fresh start.

They are just worn out.