2016 Husker Football season

Huskerpapa

Big Ten to include Friday night games, beginning in 2017: http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/17954314/big-ten-include-friday-night-games-beginning-2017

There has been some push-back from a number of universities about Friday night games. Some things to think about: (1) fan bases traveling to away games or even long distances to home games and (2) games that conflict with high school recruits who are playing on Friday nights.

If I recall, Nebraska hasn't been a fan of hosting non-Saturday games (Thanksgiving excluded), but has been involved in a number of Thursday night games in the past.

Friday games are tough.  For those of us living in Lincoln, you will basically work, leave work and go to the game.  For the many who drive to Husker games, it may involve taking a vacation day or two in order to attend.  So although I am not a huge fan of Friday games (First and foremost it is Nebraska HS football night), I will adapt as necessary.

Much ado about nothing for the most part, IMO.  Sounds like this will mostly affect those Rutgers vs New Mexico type games in the early non-con.  So while you might feel a little bit bad for the 34 or so Scarlet Knight fans that might be inconvenienced by this move, I don't think we'll notice much difference.

4 hours ago, HB said:

Yeah, but it involves change.  And you know my position on that....  ;)

4 hours ago, HB said:

Yeah, but it involves change.  And you know my position on that....  ;)

Agree HB, change is hard for us old F%$^)@!. And besides Friday's are for High School Football.

16 minutes ago, hhcdimes said:

When Nebraska is winning, that's not our problem.

I'm not talking about just Nebraska.  I think we'll become so satiated with college football as a whole that interest will wane.

What's special about college football on a Saturday when you get it on a Thursday and Friday as well?

I know we've had Thursday and Friday games for a while, but we've begun getting more of them (and this new deal with the B1G is only adding to the numbers).  We're going to continue to get more and more games on days other than Saturday, which will make Saturdays in the fall seem much less of an event.

The deal with Fridays is I'm not sure what market college football is trying to attract.  If this is going to benefit the colleges (aside from the money they're getting in the TV deal), the schools are going to need potential players/students/parents to watch the games (players, so they'll get exposure to the program, and students/parents so they'll get exposure to those cute university commercials).  Well, that audience isn't going to be watching college football on Friday night, because they'll be on the field, playing in the band, cheering, in the student section, or in the stands watching their kids play on Friday night.  In a quick bit of searching, I found that in 2010, 160 million people attended high school football games across the country.  Averaging a 10-game season, that's over a million and a half people in the prime demographic for college football not watching on Friday night each week.

Some high schools are going to switch and play their games on Thursday night instead of Friday, so as to not conflict with the college broadcast.  That sucks.  We just had a playoff game in Marysville on Tuesday night.  Wednesday was a freaking morgue all day. We sure as hell don't need more of that.

Keep high school football on Friday nights (though I understand with playoffs that games need to be played on other days).  Keep college football on Saturday.

I'm probably making too big a deal out of this.  All in all, it just doesn't feel right.

12 minutes ago, atskooc said:

The deal with Fridays is I'm not sure what market college football is trying to attract

I don't go to high school football games: I don't have any kids in high school nor do I live conveniently close to where I went to high school.

Thus, I would be part of a pool of people who would potentially watch college football on a Friday that wouldn't cannibalize high school football.

If you're just looking at your local region I don't think that these weekday games effect anything unless it's a local college team.  Given how far in advance you know the college football schedule, your local high school teams can move games to accommodate or not....just like anyone who gets married in the fall in Nebraska.

I don't like the idea of high schools having to make a decision like this for something that really shouldn't affect them.

Again, I understand that there's been college football on Fridays for a while now, with minimal effect.  But with an increase in games, the effect will grow.

Not a fan.

I'll deal.

57 minutes ago, atskooc said:

I'm not talking about just Nebraska.  I think we'll become so satiated with college football as a whole that interest will wane.

I'm already starting to reach that tipping point.  Last night for example, I was torn between watching the college football games and the Cricket test match from Perth, Australia between Australia and South Africa (and I am being totally serious here I watched about equal parts of the Oklahoma, Colorado and Cricket).  I couldn't help thinking how annoyed I was watching the college football for myriad reason while the Cricket was totally engaging and enjoyable.  Maybe it's must because I'm still relatively new to the sport and learning new things but I'm not so sure.

Good thing basketball season is about to start.

Huskers vs Ohio State tomorrow night.  Man, I have high hopes.  I am still on a high from the Cubbies.  That said, I am going into this game with low expectations.  As young as they are, and as much as they have struggled as of late, they are still a terrific team.  Their defense is as good, if not better, than Wisconsin.  Our offensive line is still beat up.  Our RB's and Tommie appear NOT TO BE 100%.  I am hoping for a win.  I am hoping we play a clean game.  I am hoping that we are healthier than I fear we are.  We shall see.

10 hours ago, huskercwg said:

Huskers vs Ohio State tomorrow night.  Man, I have high hopes.  I am still on a high from the Cubbies.  That said, I am going into this game with low expectations.  As young as they are, and as much as they have struggled as of late, they are still a terrific team.  Their defense is as good, if not better, than Wisconsin.  Our offensive line is still beat up.  Our RB's and Tommie appear NOT TO BE 100%.  I am hoping for a win.  I am hoping we play a clean game.  I am hoping that we are healthier than I fear we are.  We shall see.

No comment...

Some times bad things happen to good people.  Hope Tommy can play Saturday because we need all hands on deck to beat a above average Minnesota team.  

Don't really care if we win the West, don't really want to play either OSU or Mich.  this year as I think we just ain't ready.

But if we win out we should get to a really good bowl and could end up what?  11-2 or 10-3?  

Not bad and could be a great boost for the next year.

Just me, happy things are going well, but also know we aren't as good as our record is.

3 hours ago, Silverbacked1 said:

Some times bad things happen to good people.  Hope Tommy can play Saturday because we need all hands on deck to beat a above average Minnesota team.  

Don't really care if we win the West, don't really want to play either OSU or Mich.  this year as I think we just ain't ready.

But if we win out we should get to a really good bowl and could end up what?  11-2 or 10-3?  

Not bad and could be a great boost for the next year.

Just me, happy things are going well, but also know we aren't as good as our record is.

Yeah, we could be Michigan State. Boy, that team seems like a total train-wreck!