Last year's squad versus this year's squad.

khoock

Starters

- Sr. Benny Parker v. So. Glynn Watson EDGE: 2016-17

- Fr. Glynn Watson v. Jr. Anton Gill EDGE: 2016-17

- Jr. Andrew White v. So. Jack McVeigh EDGE: 2015-16

- Sr. Shavon Shields v. So. Edward Morrow EDGE: 2015-16

- Fr. Michael Jacobson v. So. Michael Jacobson EDGE: 2016-17

Bench

- Jr. Tai Webster v. Sr. Tai Webster EDGE: 2016-17

- Fr. Jack McVeigh v. Fr. Isaiah Roby EDGE: 2016-17

- So. Jake Hammond v. Fr. Jordy Tshimanga EDGE: 2016-17

- Fr. Edward Morrow v. Fr. Jeriah Horne EDGE: 2015-16

- So. Nick Fuller v. Jr. Nick Fuller EDGE: 2016-17

- Fr. Bakari Evelyn v. Jr. Evan Taylor EDGE: Tie

This is using my predicted starters, rotation, assumed progression of returning players, and assumed impact of newcomers for next year versus last years team. With the bench players I had to mix and match a little bit so I was comparing a gaurd with a gaurd, a forward with a forward, etc so it is far from a perfect science. But my calculations come out to be 7-3-1 in favor of this year's team.

This would match the theme on this board that this year's team will be more talented (on paper) than the previous one.

We don't know what type of jump the freshman class is going to make into this year...it's safe to assume they should be better.  Also, we really don't know what we will get out of Gill yet...and he will be getting big minutes.  But, while on paper this team may be more talented looking towards the future...it's still a team that went 16-18 last year and lost two 16PPG scorers from that team.  That doesn't mean we won't win more than 16 games...but we have a lot of questions to answer that's for sure.   

I think you will be surprised by Horne, not saying he will be better, I think I might call that one a tie.  The rest looks spot on.

At the very least, Horne's body seems more B1G-ready than Morrow's was this time last year. Actually, will Morrow ever weigh more than Horne? 

We don't know what type of jump the freshman class is going to make into this year...it's safe to assume they should be better. Also, we really don't know what we will get out of Gill yet...and he will be getting big minutes. But, while on paper this team may be more talented looking towards the future...it's still a team that went 16-18 last year and lost two 16PPG scorers from that team. That doesn't mean we won't win more than 16 games...but we have a lot of questions to answer that's for sure.

Yeah, let's not get carried away with optimism here. Anton Gill as a 4th year player might not be any better than true freshman Glynn Watson, who might not improve over his freshman season. So ...

If we'd had Andrew back and if he was bought-in and approached things as a complete team player, we'd have been much better this year than last.  I think we're better this year with a bought-in, team player in Andrew White.  But, if he came back with a primary goal of impressing the NBA scouts, then I don't think we'd be better with him and in fact better off without him.

But, doing the head-to-heads with Andrew White in the mix ...

'17 Glynn > '16 Benn

'17 Anton > '16 Glynn

'17 AWIII > '16 AWIII

'17 Ed Jr < '16 Shavon

'17 M. Ja > '16 M. Ja

'17 Tai W > '16 Tai W

etc.

overall talent is probably better this year, but i am not sure if anyone on this year's team is better than shields/white.

my main hope is that we can keep roby, horne, jacobson, jordy, morrow, watson, and mcveigh together for the next 3 years. we keep that core of 7 guys together for 3 years, and we'll win plenty of games.

We don't know what type of jump the freshman class is going to make into this year...it's safe to assume they should be better. Also, we really don't know what we will get out of Gill yet...and he will be getting big minutes. But, while on paper this team may be more talented looking towards the future...it's still a team that went 16-18 last year and lost two 16PPG scorers from that team. That doesn't mean we won't win more than 16 games...but we have a lot of questions to answer that's for sure.

Yeah, let's not get carried away with optimism here. Anton Gill as a 4th year player might not be any better than true freshman Glynn Watson, who might not improve over his freshman season. So ...
I expect Watson to be a stud and would not be surprised if Gill leads us in scoring. But, I'm not sure that will be enough...I just have trouble buying into the notion that we will be better this year when we lost two +16 PPG players. But, that's why we play the games. Nobody expected us do to anything in Miles second year so maybe they will surprise again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I haven't seen defense mentioned here.  Don't be surprised if we improve drastically in that area assuming we don't have to double the post and can actually rebound.  We'll also have more bodies to throw at our opponents.  Our best offense usually occurs as a result of a defensive rebound and transition or momentum bucket.  We have elite team speed and good depth.  I sincerely hope we ramp up the defensive pressure a little bit.  

I think you will be surprised by Horne, not saying he will be better, I think I might call that one a tie. The rest looks spot on.

At the very least, Horne's body seems more B1G-ready than Morrow's was this time last year. Actually, will Morrow ever weigh more than Horne?
Morrow is listed at 225 and Horne is listed at 220. Plus I'm sure Morrow is significantly stronger at this point in their careers.

Morrow is actually the heaviest player on the team aside from Jordy.

I think you will be surprised by Horne, not saying he will be better, I think I might call that one a tie. The rest looks spot on.

Morrow is listed at 225 and Horne is listed at 220. Plus I'm sure Morrow is significantly stronger at this point in their careers.

Horne is a strong rebounder who also has a fairly refined set of offensive skills. He and Morrow will compliment each other nicely.

Horne is a strong rebounder who also has a fairly refined set of offensive skills. He and Morrow will compliment each other nicely.
Agreed. I am anticipating we will have our best front court of the Miles era.

I haven't seen defense mentioned here.  Don't be surprised if we improve drastically in that area assuming we don't have to double the post and can actually rebound.  We'll also have more bodies to throw at our opponents.  Our best offense usually occurs as a result of a defensive rebound and transition or momentum bucket.  We have elite team speed and good depth.  I sincerely hope we ramp up the defensive pressure a little bit.  

This!

I remember the ability of last years opponents to drain the number of treys they did against us almost at will all too well!