Jordy's tall tale, literally

LINCOLN — We’ve all seen in recruiting how heights and weights of some prospects get misreported.

Tim Wilson, the Nebraska men’s basketball strength coach, noticed it with incoming freshman Jordy Tshimanga — the big-man recruit who fans and coach Tim Miles really need to be “a big man.”

“I saw during recruiting that Jordy supposedly weighed 240 or 260,” Wilson said. “Well, he’s at 288, and he really carries it well. He’ll have to lose a little weight, but he’s got a chance to be pretty special...”

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/mens-basketball/barfknecht-at---big-man-jordy-tshimanga-seems-to/article_80015f99-e20a-5347-9d27-0d9508022066.html

Nice article by Lee. A bit "puffy" but at this stage in his career it places the big man in a very "brightful" light. Now for a politically incorrect question. Why is a male athlete's exact weight always mentioned in any news story and if a female athlete's weight is questioned it is considered "body shaming"? Just wondering.

On his campus visit, Tshimanga met football coach Mike Riley, who offered a suggestion.

“He said, ‘Are you sure you don’t want to switch sports?’ ” Tshimanga said.

What Riley didn’t know was Tshimanga has played as much organized football as basketball. He played in full-pad youth leagues in Montreal, mostly as a defensive end and lineman.

“Football was my game,” Tshimanga said. “Seeing people banging around all the time, I like that physicality.”

Music to my ears.

I really believe we got a good one in Jordy. He's still a bit raw, but the physical tools are there, and he's a competitor who likes to get physical in the paint. He doesn't view himself as a 6'10" wing like Walt Pitchford, in other words!  :D

He's also a really good kid with good character who fits in really well with the other members of this class and the guys we brought in last year. 

“Football was my game,” Tshimanga said. “Seeing people banging around all the time, I like that physicality.”

Music to my ears.

Norm does like to see a little aggressiveness in his players!   ;) 

We've talked in the past about how your big man needs to have a bit of a mean streak in him.......... swagger.

Terran Petteway is an alpha male.  I think you want your big man to have a little of that alpha male attitude in him.

I don't think we need to be concerned about that with Jordy!   :) 

Music to my ears.

Norm does like to see a little aggressiveness in his players! ;)

We've talked in the past about how your big man needs to have a bit of a mean streak in him.......... swagger.

Terran Petteway is an alpha male. I think you want your big man to have a little of that alpha male attitude in him.

I don't think we need to be concerned about that with Jordy! :)

Darn... looks like we won't be getting another Diaz anytime soon.

Anyone remember what Andre's highest listed weight was?

And Andre really did not carry his weight quite as well as Jordy; or pretty much any other player on our team in recent (or not so recent) history.

Andre was completely undisciplined.  It would seem that Jordy has at least had times where he has put in effort and potentially will put in effort most/all of the time.

Anyone remember what Andre's highest listed weight was?

And Andre really did not carry his weight quite as well as Jordy; or pretty much any other player on our team in recent (or not so recent) history.

Andre was completely undisciplined.  It would seem that Jordy has at least had times where he has put in effort and potentially will put in effort most/all of the time.

Hes already shown more in the last 2 years with transitioning his body from all accounts already than Andre showed in college at any point.  I can only assume it will get even better with TW and all the help with the training table and everything.

...are more people coming around to my line of thinking?  Jordy IS going to play a lot of major minutes for us this year. 

Andre played because he was the 'best' we had at the position at the time.  Jordy will play because he is the 'best' we have at the position now (and I think he will play very well, indeed! :))