More bad news!?

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/mens-basketball/no-contract-extension-for-tim-miles-shawn-eichorst-optimistic-about/article_cc04a41e-5a89-11e6-9c39-c751a2b50988.html

Made me go hmm, especially the timing of it.  Why make an announcement about it whatsoever?  I personally see this as a negative. 

At least Eichorst explained his actions - or inactions.  I'm OK with it.  But yes, some opposing coach out there is going to use it as a negative recruiting tool against NU.

They will use it likely...just as much as they will use Miles record at NU, and the instability within the program.  I don't have any issue with the decision...Miles still has 4 years left on the contract.  The last two years have not warranted an increase. 

I guess I don't really agree with that...I get that maybe from the outside it looks that way considering the news but I don't know if I would put Miles on the hot seat right now.  I don't think he's in danger of losing his job unless this year is just a complete disaster on and off the court.  Next year might be a different story if we struggle again...but if we somehow get back to the dance Miles will be rewarded handsomely.

As I have stated already, this would be sort of a non-story during a more basketball-newsworthy time of year. The hand-wringing about recruits is unwarranted since I truly doubt any high school kid plans four years into the future anyway. And is there anyone, ANYONE, who posts on HHC who would not feel pretty secure about his or her future if he or she had a four year contract with an employer for more than $2,125,000 per year?

Contract status for B1G Coaches

Maryland - Turgeon - 2018-19 Original 8 year contract

Ohio St - Motta - 2018-19 - Last renewed 2013

Illinois - Groce - 2018-19 - Last renewed: 2014

Iowa - McCaffery - 2019-20 - Last renewed: 2014

Nebraska - Miles - 2019-20 - Last renewed: 2015

Penn St - Chambers - 2019-20 - Last renewed: 2015

N'Western - Collins - 2019-20 - Last renewed: 2015

Indiana - Crean - 2020-21 - Last renewed: 2012

Mich - Beliein - 2020-21 - Last renewed: 2015

Minny - Pitino - 2020-21 - Last renewed 2015

Mich St - Izzo - 2020-21 - Last renewed 2015

WISC - Gard - 2020-21 - Original 5 year contract

Rutgers - Pikiell - 2020-21 - Original 5 year contract

Purdue - Painter - 2021-22 - Last renewed 2016

If I have mistakenly put down a + or - year, please let me know as it's possible I goofed on a year when an article told me a year instead of a range

The problem with Lee's article is the premise that we aren't following some sort of Power 5 conference un-written rule because in my deep dive through all of this the "rubber-stamp-one-more-year" every year isn't some hard fast rule.

I didn't know where to put this so I put it here.

https://twitter.com/leebeeowh/status/761312092976623616

Another strange move by Shawn. 3 months before signing date.

Not so strange for a coach with questions...

I'm not sure what you mean by this...are you saying Miles has questions for Eichorst? Or that there are questions that need to be answered in regards to Miles?

To me this is Eichorst hedging his bets here like a lot of us are.

Either Miles is going to make it in the next 1-2 year or he won't.

As my research is telling me, it's currently a non-issue for recruiting because if you really dig into it probably over half of Div 1 basketball is "on the hot seat" if you compare apples to apples.

I'm not sure what you mean by this...are you saying Miles has questions for Eichorst? Or that there are questions that need to be answered in regards to Miles?

I believe Miles needs to have a good year.

Keep in mind, I believe Bo P got his 1 year extension even though people believe he should have been fired. I think winning is paramount.

Keep in mind, I believe Bo P got his 1 year extension even though people believe he should have been fired. I think winning is paramount.

Wow, brilliant!  Such insight!  Winning is good!

Wow, brilliant! Such insight! Winning is good!

Such a salty little girl. Waaaaaaaa.

Please, do not ever link to a story that has an embedded tweet from one of the two worst radio broadcasters I have ever heard. I had forgotten that guy existed.

For those who think Miles is on the hot seat, just a quick reminder...our program has NEVER won an NCAA tourney game. We haven't won a conference title since the 50s or somewhere in that ballpark. I think (and I know most on here agree) that unless this year is a complete disaster, he will, and should, be here for the foreseeable future. He has done wonders we've never seen since the early to mid-90s in recruiting. I'm as frustrated as many when it comes to the last 2 seasons. But at a program like we have that lacks much tradition, I truly believe you let a guy get 8-10 years and see what happens. Like others have said, in one way or another, who are you gonna go out and get that's better than Miles? You aren't stealing any of the bluebloods' coaches. So you're gonna be rolling the dice on an unknown coach. I believe in Miles still, and I say he gets the job done and gets us to at least a Sweet 16 before his time at NU is over!

For those who think Miles is on the hot seat, just a quick reminder...our program has NEVER won an NCAA tourney game. We haven't won a conference title since the 50s or somewhere in that ballpark. I think (and I know most on here agree) that unless this year is a complete disaster, he will, and should, be here for the foreseeable future. He has done wonders we've never seen since the early to mid-90s in recruiting. I'm as frustrated as many when it comes to the last 2 seasons. But at a program like we have that lacks much tradition, I truly believe you let a guy get 8-10 years and see what happens. Like others have said, in one way or another, who are you gonna go out and get that's better than Miles? You aren't stealing any of the bluebloods' coaches. So you're gonna be rolling the dice on an unknown coach. I believe in Miles still, and I say he gets the job done and gets us to at least a Sweet 16 before his time at NU is over!

I agree with most of what you have said. But a sweet 16 spot unless there is a huge up grade in talent may be a reach, but as they say that's why you play the game.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

This post uses way too much logic. ;)