McVeigh Focused on Finding Shooting Touch

http://journalstar.com/sports/huskers/mens-basketball/mcveigh-focused-on-finding-shooting-touch/article_dd0fb4e5-8568-5002-9f58-81e8f497a941.html

"Basketballjones, what's wrong with my shot mate?"

"Jake, I thought you'd never ask! You're gonna owe me some cash after this, and no I won't take any vegimite as payment. That crap is disgusting."

Not sure if he's asking me or not, but I'll assume he is - pretty clear by the picture in the article that his end hand positioning with his left indicates his left thumb gets in his shot, which can create inconsistency because it means he's a hands shooter.

Being a hands shooter isn't a bad thing, shows you have a lot of eye-hand coordination and you'll be prone to some hot streaks. But it also means you'll have some cold streaks. Hands have little muscles - little muscles fail in crunch time or during any moments of energy swings. This is why putting is so hard for most people.

My remedy? Work more on your foot work and always getting your feet where they need to be and ready to explode into your shot. Not necessarily about jumping high to shoot, but having your hips ready to explode on the catch, same way, every time. This will take some of the small muscles out of the equation as your body will figure out that you've got more "oomph" in your shot now - allowing you to finish with a more accurate, more consistent, one hand release. With your left high, but open to your head, not the rim.

You're welcome, Jack.