2016 G Evan Taylor signed with NU

GATA

It is obvious that some here think Evan is a stretch. Whether he turns out to be, only time will tell.

However, I note the media selected Evan to the Southern Conference All Freshman teamafter his year there.

http://www.soconsports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4000&ATCLID=209920690

He must have been doing something right.

Given Miles eye for talent, I trust Evan is a good pick-up this late in the game.

I'm not saying he's going to suck out loud.  I'm just cautioning people to be careful with their hopes and expectations. 

I like the pick up.  Especially with as late in the process as we were able to land him.  I think he will provide needed depth.

I'm glad he's a Husker, make no mistake about that.  I just would caution about expectations, that's all.

People would have killed Tim for having 2 scholarships open this year. Between the back to back seasons of freshman PG transfers, Benny's graduation, White's transfer, and Palmer having to sit we needed a guard for this season. As long as everyone realizes we need depth with fairly capable players they should be happy he is here and will hopefully give us serviceable minutes for the next 2 seasons.

Worst case, if it doesn't work out...he's asked to transfer after the season ends.

I don't think you'd see Nebraska ask a 4th year guy who was a "please join our team" signee to transfer under any on the court circumstance.

If my Math is correct we now have 1 scholarship open for 2017.  I'm playing the what if game here...but if Evan Taylor is not able to provide valuable minutes next year I think he will be a likely transfer candidate.  And I'd imagine we will be signing more than two recruits in this next class.

What's the transfer rate of juco transfers? Pretty low, I'd guess.

Deverell Biggs, Myles Holley, Quincy Hankins-Cole, Shang Ping, B.J. Walker, Joe Holmes, Michael Hughes, Amos Gregory, Deak Vance, Danny Walker, Kevin Augustine, Demetrius Buchanan, Kamyron Brown, Jose Ramos, and I'm sure there is more. It happens.

No offense to Benny Parker, but ET looks like he could be an upgrade over BP. If he gives us BP-like defense, then he'll be better for us because of his size and length alone.

Was thinking the same thing. If he really loves defending and is good at it, then we are basically getting Benny Parker + 7 inches.

An extra 7 inches is nothing to sneeze at.

This write-up makes me think Evan Taylor is David Rivers, point guard edition.  David was one of those team first guys that helped make his team successful by doing the little things.  Not saying he'll play as much as David, just that the descriptions seem similar.

Taylor, a 6-foot-4, 205-pound guard, comes to Nebraska after spending the 2015-16 season at Odessa (Texas) College, helping the school make its first NJCAA National Tournament appearance since 2001...

He attended Paul VI (Va.) Catholic High School, leading the school to a 31-6 record and a VISAA D1 State championship in 2014. He averaged 8.5 points per game as the only senior on the team. He helped Paul VI HS to its second Washington Catholic Athletic Conference title in three years, including a 19-point win over DeMatha High School in the championship game. It marked the school’s only two conference titles since the school was formed. He also helped Paul VI to a runner-up finish at the 2013 City of Palms Classic, considered one of the best high school basketball tournaments in the country.

This write-up makes me think Evan Taylor is David Rivers, point guard edition.  David was one of those team first guys that helped make his team successful by doing the little things.  Not saying he'll play as much as David, just that the descriptions seem similar.

Taylor, a 6-foot-4, 205-pound guard, comes to Nebraska after spending the 2015-16 season at Odessa (Texas) College, helping the school make its first NJCAA National Tournament appearance since 2001...

He attended Paul VI (Va.) Catholic High School, leading the school to a 31-6 record and a VISAA D1 State championship in 2014. He averaged 8.5 points per game as the only senior on the team. He helped Paul VI HS to its second Washington Catholic Athletic Conference title in three years, including a 19-point win over DeMatha High School in the championship game. It marked the school’s only two conference titles since the school was formed. He also helped Paul VI to a runner-up finish at the 2013 City of Palms Classic, considered one of the best high school basketball tournaments in the country.

That's a fantastic comparison, buglem, as far as potential impact. Team players who can compete at the D-1 level are greatly appreciated.

This write-up makes me think Evan Taylor is David Rivers, point guard edition. David was one of those team first guys that helped make his team successful by doing the little things. Not saying he'll play as much as David, just that the descriptions seem similar.

https://twitter.com/CoachMiles/status/752552548603572224

https://twitter.com/HuskerHoops/status/752551813648248833

That's a fantastic comparison, buglem, as far as potential impact. Team players who can compete at the D-1 level are greatly appreciated.

I would be 100% satisfied if your comparison turns out to be correct. Not everyone can be a star. It's essential to have role players who are accepting of their role, if you want to be a good or great team.

People would have killed Tim for having 2 scholarships open this year. Between the back to back seasons of freshman PG transfers, Benny's graduation, White's transfer, and Palmer having to sit we needed a guard for this season. As long as everyone realizes we need depth with fairly capable players they should be happy he is here and will hopefully give us serviceable minutes for the next 2 seasons.

Worst case, if it doesn't work out...he's asked to transfer after the season ends.

I don't think you'd see Nebraska ask a 4th year guy who was a "please join our team" signee to transfer under any on the court circumstance.

If my Math is correct we now have 1 scholarship open for 2017.  I'm playing the what if game here...but if Evan Taylor is not able to provide valuable minutes next year I think he will be a likely transfer candidate.  And I'd imagine we will be signing more than two recruits in this next class.

What's the transfer rate of juco transfers? Pretty low, I'd guess.

Deverell Biggs, Myles Holley, Quincy Hankins-Cole, Shang Ping, B.J. Walker, Joe Holmes, Michael Hughes, Amos Gregory, Deak Vance, Danny Walker, Kevin Augustine, Demetrius Buchanan, Kamyron Brown, Jose Ramos, and I'm sure there is more. It happens.

Higher than I thought, actually. Though Biggs was actually kicked off the team before transferring, but still, more than I expected.

Miles was already looking for junior college guards and he was looking at ET when the Huskers had one available scholarship for the 2016-17 season.

When White announced he was leaving the Huskers they pulled the trigger.

So, not as last minute as we may have supposed.

http://journalstar.com/sports/huskers/mens-basketball/nu-hoops-recruiting-taylor-on-radar-before-loss-of-white/article_ab16844f-1418-5ec1-a168-0f7bc0c7a754.html

From the article:

Miles and his staff, particularly assistant coach Jim Molinari, had already been looking for junior college guards when the Huskers had one available scholarship for the 2016-17 season. Taylor was on their radar.

And when White announced he was transferring, leaving the Huskers with two vacant scholarships?

“Then we said it’s a no-brainer,” Miles said.

Miles was already looking for junior college guards and he was looking at ET when the Huskers had one available scholarship for the 2016-17 season.

When White announced he was leaving the Huskers they pulled the trigger.

So, not as last minute as we may have supposed.

http://journalstar.com/sports/huskers/mens-basketball/nu-hoops-recruiting-taylor-on-radar-before-loss-of-white/article_ab16844f-1418-5ec1-a168-0f7bc0c7a754.html

From the article:

Miles and his staff, particularly assistant coach Jim Molinari, had already been looking for junior college guards when the Huskers had one available scholarship for the 2016-17 season. Taylor was on their radar.

And when White announced he was transferring, leaving the Huskers with two vacant scholarships?

“Then we said it’s a no-brainer,” Miles said.

Exactly. ET became a no-brainer once AW-III left last month. He was already on the radar, even with only one empty slot at NU.

Looks like he knows where the gym is

Yeah, funny story about that.  I bumped into him walking across city campus the other day and he asked me if I knew where the Hendricks Training Complex was at.

I said, "Young man, this is a prestigious university; we do NOT end our sentences with prepositions."

Anyway, long story short, I helped give him directions.