2016 G Evan Taylor signed with NU

GATA

Stupid computer.  Either I get a double post or no post.  Try it again.

I had to laugh at CWG's comment because he took the words right oughtta my mouth.  I was typing my post when notification of "1 new post do you want to see it?" popped up and I look and see, sure enough, yep, I saw the left hand and I liked it.

Anyway, lots in that film to like.  If he can live up to the film and not down to his stats, he'll be a hell of an addition especially this late in the process.

I'm wondering if new coach from Butler might have been the lead recruiter for him.  At worst, he's no worse of a shooter than Bakari (but with a much better looking shot) and can probably do everything we'd hoped Bakari would do for us this season.

Consider me down with this signing.  I think the kid looks the part.

If he'd been a double digit scorer and shot 30+ % from 3 in junior college, he wouldn't have still been available.  (Also remember that Shavon Shields shot 19.5% from 3 as a junior, and was under 18% in conference play that year.)

Even if he only plays 5 to 10 minutes a game, having a fourth guard allows Nebraska to push the tempo more, to be more aggressive defensively, and to go with a three guard lineup or play with Roby or McVeigh at the four more easily if you want a different look on the floor.  Also, the possible loss of Webster or Watson to an injury would have been a disaster without this signing.

2 Thoughts:

A. Glad we signed someone with experience as we need them for depth

B. Would've preferred a 5th year guy as opposed to tying up that spot for 2 years

The 5th year market basically looks like week 6 of a going out of business sale...picked over.  

It was either this or yet another freshman reach.

2 Thoughts:

B. Would've preferred a 5th year guy as opposed to tying up that spot for 2 years

The 5th year market basically looks like week 6 of a going out of business sale...picked over.  

It was either this or yet another freshman reach.

i'd rather lock up a guy for 2 years that can help -- even if minimally -- than be operating on probation... hopefully we find another guy in here somewhere -- who knows, people transfer late for screwed up reasons.

I'm assuming he left Samford in hopes of maybe finding a higher level school and then maybe his season in juco didn't give him the exposure he hoped for? Maybe?

Yup

Then I am going to also guess that we scoured the Juco market starting a couple of months ago just in case Andrew White didn't come back and gave this guy some sort of tentative invitation in the event White didn't return.

He does seem to fit the athletic profile Miles looks for in that he is listed at 6'4" (or more) which is pretty long for a PG. the shooting percentages look a little scary, though. At this stage of the game beggars can't be choosers, and we sorely needed another guard for this upcoming season. Hopefully he can provide some depth behind Watson. Overall, I am pretty pleased with this find given the timing of the AW III transfer.

I'm assuming he left Samford in hopes of maybe finding a higher level school and then maybe his season in juco didn't give him the exposure he hoped for? Maybe?

Yup

Then I am going to also guess that we scoured the Juco market starting a couple of months ago just in case Andrew White didn't come back and gave this guy some sort of tentative invitation in the event White didn't return.

Actually, I don't think so though I could be wrong. I'd be interested in finding out the connection or how we found this guy. He meets our JUCO criteria of having played in Div before so that might have been our starting point

Welcome, Evan!

For those of us who remember the late 90s... Could this guy be a bigger version of Joe Holmes and play similar minutes? (although not start each half for 4 minute and never play again like Holmes did)

Could he be a poor man's Lance Jeter for the newer fans?

Glad we got him!

He's reportedly a defensive presence and is a combo guard type in case one of our guards is injured today.

Though it was at a lower level, he has logged significant minutes at the D-1 level.

Finally, seems like he's a high character kid even noting what year he plan on graduating when he tweeted his announcement.

Hopefully he either has a consistent shot or can develop one.

2 Thoughts:

These were my first thoughts as well.  After thinking about it for a little longer, I think it will work itself out.  There are some factors that I don't know.  Is he going to be a graduate transfer candidate next year?  If things do not go as he hopes this year, then he could use that option next year.  And maybe things will go well for him.  Either way, he seems to be a D1 type of athlete at the guard spot.  Something to be said for that if we need him to play here or there for whatever reason.  I think it is much more pro than con. 

Evan Taylor was the 6th ranked recruit from the state of Virginia in 2014, and ET chose Samford over George Washington, South Carolina, Wake Forest, and West VIrginia. That's a fairly solid list of schools that Samford beat out for his services. I'm upbeat about a 6'-4" PG in the mix at NU to go with Tai, Glynn & Anton.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/166280/evan-taylor