uneblinstu's post game chatter: ed 3, vol 18 - Purdue

uneblinstu

I like their 7 foot freshman.  Seems to have good hands.  Nice touch near the hoop.  He's not just about dunks.  He really posed a mismatch problem for us during much of the game and he was instrumental in them building such a big lead on us. 

I was very surprised with him.  He played at Oak Hill and was at two tournaments in Portland over the last 3 years.  I was never impressed with his play for a big man.  Needless to say he looked completely different.  He looks slimmer and has better insticnts.  I will give Painter credit because he looks night and day better from even a year ago.

Really encouraged with Shields and Rivers play.  They seem to be getting better as the year goes on.  Shields is going to be a player IMO.  Effort was not great for the first 30 minutes...if we brought it like we did in the last 10 we win that game.  I feel bad for Parker because he was thrown into the fold when he probably shouldn't be...but I don't think hes the answer at PG for the future.  Probably way to quick to say such a thing but we need some sort of production out of that position and right now he just can't provide it.  Doesn't trust his shot and not big enough to do damage on the drive.  He does however for the most part take care of the ball.  That was probably one of the last few chances for a win in Big 10 play. 

Rivers was 2-9 and had 1 RB and 1 assist in 39 minutes of play.  I guess our standards are awful low these days to get encouraged by that.  His defense was adequate, but we still got killed inside.  In the first half, when AA went out, Hammons took over and scored almost at will.  It was until Miles went zone in the 2nd half that we had some success with small ball, but that was largely a result of some nice help by Shields and others.

As for Parker, I think we all see the handwriting on the wall.  Purdue was having their big guy Hammons "guard" him, which basically meant Hammons never left the painted area and just look at BP when he had the ball.  BP was so wide open it was embarrassing, yet he only shot twice and both times weren't even close.  After that, he starting pulling a "Menke" in which he would be absolutely wide open about 17 ft from the basket, but he would look around anywhere but the basket to act as if he didn't know he was so wide open even though the entire crowd is murmering something akin to " please shoot the ball and make it".

My comment on Rivers and Shields was not regarding just this game.  It was the season as a whole.  I think both have improved their game. 

Miles needs to quit tweeting at halftime.  Miles needs to get Vuch some minutes.

Miles doesn't tweet at halftime.  Shamus Mcknight does. 

I've had to tweet at halftime before.  Fortunately, it looks like the bathrooms at the new arena will be located closer to the seats so you might not have to wait till halftime if you really have to tweet.

I think he says something to Shamus as he walks by.

Then Shamus tweets it.

I don't think it takes away from his coaching in any way.

As quick a wit as Miles is he can pop something out in a heart beat.

Yup.  The tweet is "written" before Miles is even in the locker room.

Miles needs to quit tweeting at halftime.  Miles needs to get Vuch some minutes.

Under his name which he has to give the OK.

It's no different than a coach talking to a TV reporter about what he saw in the first half.  He says something that takes 10 seconds to tweet, so you can imagine how long it takes to say.  I know that 5 seconds that he spent saying it was the worst defense we've played all year cost us the game.

Nah Gov those people who yell about Pelini only go to the Jays games, not ours. :mellow:

Who's Pelini?

Okay, Tony it's time to man up.  You gave your farewell to this forum several weeks ago.  You said bye bye.  But, obviously, you're still posting.  Will you apologize for lying, or are you going to be a weasel? 

When I mess up, I come clean.

Last night was my first chance to see this team in person (which was long overdue) so it was nice to see it live than watching it on TV.

-Don't get me wrong.  I loved that Miles let the refs have it a couple of times during time outs.  I also noticed the crowd loved it too.  However I wondered if a lot of the people who cheered him "giving it to the refs" are the same people who get mad when Pelini does in on the sidelines.  Just a thought.

I'd be one of them for sure.  No contradiction in my mind at all b/c NO comparison.   You gotta know when and how and most importantly not get spittle on the guy AND not come really close to bitting his nose AND not having the guy be so distracted by your behavior that he is not hearing you b/c he's standing there seriously wondering if you will literally explode.

BTW, glad you got to go in person last night !

Under his name which he has to give the OK.

This would be like saying Miles also shouldn't talk to the TV guy at half time.