uneblinstu's post game chatter: ed 3, vol 18 - Purdue

uneblinstu

- Really, really, really disappointing effort tonight.

- Shields is our best player.

- Tyrance brought energy tonight, but had 3 possessions in the last 4 minutes that really cost us an opportunity to get in the game.

- School record for only 2 turnovers in the game...and we lost...

- Got killed on the boards.

- Got 23 points combined from Gallegos, Talley, Almedia and Ubel (yes, I know he didn't play...).  Those are our top 4 scorers, gotta get more than that.

- Did I see where Painter said he game planned for Rivers?  Didn't see that one coming.

- Boggled that NU didn't come out of the gates as flat as they did.  Then they didn't come out in the 2nd half any sharper.  It took a 13-2 run and to get down 20 before NU started playing.  NU's got enough going against it to let that happen.

That's all for tonight.  It's late, I'm tired.

Guess Tim is a bit upset.

1. Miles (cont.): "We’re supposed to be part of the solution, not part of the problem. I’m not interested in continuing this.'"

2. Miles to team in last timeout: "I said, ‘Look around. What do you see? Empty seats, people heading to the exits."

Practice will be a bit tough tomorrow me thinks.

This one was a bit tough on me.  I did expect us to win, and we came out as flat as a pancake.  I couldn't believe it...we then woke up and played better in the second half.  I heard Coach Miles say that he was a bit perplexed because we simply weren't ready at the start of the game.  Hard to take that, especially on the veterans. 

- Kudos to Jordan Tyrance.  Good job playing his a** off. 

- Kudos to Shavon.  He played his a** off.  He ran out of steam towards the end, and quite frankly I do not blame him.

- Talley did okay.  Good handles.  But he could not stop the dribble drive.  He is playing out of position and tries hard, but we need to be able to stop that dribble drive.

- Andre...at first I thought he showed up to play, alas, he fell flat.  He missed a shot or two and looked like he went into a funk.  Dude, that cannot happen.

- Benny, work on the shot...you have lost your mojo...we need it back.

- David did okay, especially in spurts.  He lacked a bit of consistency tonight, and we need him to stay at the higher level of play that he has exhibited.

- Ray struggled.  Again, there were spurts, but not enough of them. 

We really need Brandon back.  Hope we get good news tomorrow.

1. is it just me, or does the other team's first step look sooooo much faster than any onball defender we may have matched up against them both in and out of the big 10?

2. what is up with benny? hurt? i dont understand why he hasn't played as much, especially tonight, as of late

The best player in a Husker uniform is a true freshman.  That's nice.  Good for the future.  Not so good for the present considering what that means about the other guys.  Disappointing offensive performances by a couple of players whom we need to have lead the charge.  Ray and Dylan have to get it done better.  Have to.

Shavon brings it, baby.  He's not the most skilled kid ever.  Nor does he have the best athleticism.  But he has desire.  That fire in his belly.  Love that.  That's why he gets it done.  He just wills it.

Two kids on the floor tonight playing hard, both are the sons of former Nebraska football players.  How about that?  Bet that's never happened before this season.  And not much before this night. 

I like a lot of what Rivers does.  He needs to learn to take it strong to the hoop when he drives.  He doesn't get enough elevation toward the basket because he seems to be trying to, I don't know, flip up some off-balance thing.  Go strong, go hard, get the foul.

Much as I love the effort from Jordan Tyrance, he's not the guy who needs to be taking shots at the end of the game.  Still, the kid played with a lot of heart and grabbed some nice rebounds on the defensive glass in the 2nd half.  One that stood out anyway.

At one point, we had 33 points and Shavon had 17 of them.  If that was with 5 to play in the first half, I'd be fine with it.  But that was with maybe 10 to play in the  2nd half.  Can't have that.  We have to get balanced production and our seniors (and 4th year junior) need to lead the way.

The run started on the defensive end (with Andre on the bench.)  We were getting active hands and anticipating passes and getting some steals.  I think we had at least 7 steals.  Maybe 8.  And most of those proabably came during that run in the 2nd half.  Needed that.  Had we not dug such a deep hole ...

I like their 7 foot freshman.  Seems to have good hands.  Nice touch near the hoop.  He's not just about dunks.  He really posed a mismatch problem for us during much of the game and he was instrumental in them building such a big lead on us. 

Feel like we missed an opportunity tonight.  Stinks.  If we'd have kept them from expanding the lead after half and kept it near single digits, I think we could have won this one tonight.  Just had too deep a hole to dig ourselves out of when you have such an offensively limited team.

One of the highlights was sitting with and talking to uneblinstu, nuled2dance, and lang.  Wish we had a Michigan or Michigan State effort tonight.  Are the guys just wearing down?   Glad to see the fight at the end.  Hope we can pull out a few wins - there are still some to get out there.

As we have all said we are going to have games like this with this group.  The odd thing is that tonight it was not so much not shooting well as it was not taking the right shots.  We need to get Gallegos more looks.  Even when he is not shooting a high percentage our offense seems to be more effective when he is getting shots - and he is the one guy we have who can go on a tear.   Talley is our most consistent shooter when he is open - but when he is handling the ball all the time he is not getting those open looks - and ends up taking alot of bad shots.

Overall I think we shot 9 three's tonight. That is simply not enough for this group.  If you just shoot 33% in 3's that is the same as shooting 50% from 2 point range - and frankly inside our half-court offense this team is not going to shoot even 50% inside the arc very often.   People complain about relying on the 3 point shot - but to a large extent that is what this team needs to do to stay in games against quality opponents.  That is even more true with Ubel out.

I've been thinking something for awhile but just figured my eyes and memory were playing tricks on me. Maybe they still are.

But does anyone else agree that Dylan Talley is essentially Brennon Clemmons?

Most will remember (at least I do) Clemmons as a better defender than offensive player, which is the opposite of Talley, but both had pretty bad ball handling skills and dribbled the ball near their armpits. Both had the ability to drive and hit the open three and get hot at times. Both forced it at times.

Am I losing it or is there at least a semblance of Clemmons in Talley?

I've been thinking something for awhile but just figured my eyes and memory were playing tricks on me. Maybe they still are.

But does anyone else agree that Dylan Talley is essentially Brennon Clemmons?

Most will remember (at least I do) Clemmons as a better defender than offensive player, which is the opposite of Talley, but both had pretty bad ball handling skills and dribbled the ball near their armpits. Both had the ability to drive and hit the open three and get hot at times. Both forced it at times.

Am I losing it or is there at least a semblance of Clemmons in Talley?

Yup, I see it.  I also see a little of Jete there. 

Flippin Bird burned us in the second half.  Man, I would love it if we could get someone to go off like he did/does.

Essentially he is Ray this year.  If you notice Byrd didn't hit most of the first half.  He just kept shooting and got hot.  He attempted as many 3pters (10) as the entire Nebraska team did

Good move for Miles to show anger. Otherwise he might as well admit that he is writing the season off, and it is just too early for that. If this doesn't light a fire for this next (winnable) game, I expect him to give the team a day off and go bowling. Try anything to find that first league win.

Really encouraged with Shields and Rivers play.  They seem to be getting better as the year goes on.  Shields is going to be a player IMO.  Effort was not great for the first 30 minutes...if we brought it like we did in the last 10 we win that game.  I feel bad for Parker because he was thrown into the fold when he probably shouldn't be...but I don't think hes the answer at PG for the future.  Probably way to quick to say such a thing but we need some sort of production out of that position and right now he just can't provide it.  Doesn't trust his shot and not big enough to do damage on the drive.  He does however for the most part take care of the ball.  That was probably one of the last few chances for a win in Big 10 play. 

Really encouraged with Shields and Rivers play.  They seem to be getting better as the year goes on.  Shields is going to be a player IMO.  Effort was not great for the first 30 minutes...if we brought it like we did in the last 10 we win that game.  I feel bad for Parker because he was thrown into the fold when he probably shouldn't be...but I don't think hes the answer at PG for the future.  Probably way to quick to say such a thing but we need some sort of production out of that position and right now he just can't provide it.  Doesn't trust his shot and not big enough to do damage on the drive.  He does however for the most part take care of the ball.  That was probably one of the last few chances for a win in Big 10 play. 

Rivers was 2-9 and had 1 RB and 1 assist in 39 minutes of play.  I guess our standards are awful low these days to get encouraged by that.  His defense was adequate, but we still got killed inside.  In the first half, when AA went out, Hammons took over and scored almost at will.  It was until Miles went zone in the 2nd half that we had some success with small ball, but that was largely a result of some nice help by Shields and others.

As for Parker, I think we all see the handwriting on the wall.  Purdue was having their big guy Hammons "guard" him, which basically meant Hammons never left the painted area and just look at BP when he had the ball.  BP was so wide open it was embarrassing, yet he only shot twice and both times weren't even close.  After that, he starting pulling a "Menke" in which he would be absolutely wide open about 17 ft from the basket, but he would look around anywhere but the basket to act as if he didn't know he was so wide open even though the entire crowd is murmering something akin to " please shoot the ball and make it".

Miles needs to quit tweeting at halftime.  Miles needs to get Vuch some minutes.

Pretty much unrelenting negativity from you so far, Coz, with regard to Miles.  The Vuch obsession gets old.  Have you seen him practice?  Know any of the details?  How does MIles having Shamus tweet for him at halftime negatively affect the program?  Any specifics?

Last night was my first chance to see this team in person (which was long overdue) so it was nice to see it live than watching it on TV.

-I like most of the people are very pleasently surprised on the development of Shavon.  He's really starting to take a leap forward and could see him being a big part of some hopeful future success.

-I'd like to see them get Rivers some more touches.  His performance against Michigan State is no fluke.  Last night I felt he played well considering the defensive focus they had on him.  Would have liked to see a play or two ran to get him more looks.

-I'm also pleasantly surprised with Rivers.  If you would have told me last year that one of the three freshman (Rivers, Moore, Hilliard) would stick around, I would have hoped it woudl have been Moore, then Hilliard.  But I'm glad I'm wrong because Rivers is really developing.

-I could really be in the minority here, but I think Peltz's absence is hurting this team more than we know.  Yeah he's a walk on that doesn't offer much for offense, but the team could really use some help at PG.  Talley has played ok, but dribbling the ball isn't his strong suit.  Peltz was also a strong defender IMO too.

-Very glad to see Tyrance play well.  I was a big fan of him walking on at Nebraska and thought he'd have the chance to work into a role on the team.  Although he missed some key shots at the end of the game.  But heck he and Sheilds were the only ones scoring, so I can't blame him. 

-I noticed that when there was a jump ball in the 2nd half the Nebraska player (can't remember who) didn't want to give up the ball.  This team seems to have a little toughness (saw the same thing against Creighton) that I kinda like.

-Don't get me wrong.  I loved that Miles let the refs have it a couple of times during time outs.  I also noticed the crowd loved it too.  However I wondered if a lot of the people who cheered him "giving it to the refs" are the same people who get mad when Pelini does in on the sidelines.  Just a thought.

-Don't know about anybody else, but I was really impressed with Purdue's big man.  Don't know his name but he was #20.  I also thought Rivers did a good job against him in the 2nd half too for being undersized.

Gov, I think that "jump ball" was actually called a foul on the Nebraska player.  I thought at first it was a held ball too but I think they ended up calling it a foul.  I thought the officiating overall was decent.  This was not a game where I personally would be griping about the refs.  Having said that, there were a few head scratchers in there.

One very memorable one was a foul either on Rivers or Tyrance, can't recall which.  But the Nebraska player went to the floor going after a loose ball and the Purdue player got it and the Nebraska player evidently grabbed the Purdue kid's arm WHILE THE NEBRASKA PLAYER WAS LYING ON THE FLOOR.

They called it a two-shot shooting foul.  Now, how in the hell could that even remotely be in the act of shooting when the Nebraska guy is lying on the floor grabbing at the ball?  Yeah, the guy ended up shooting it, but he was fouled when the ball was near floor level.  <_<

We had 4 guys:

RIvers

Shields

Ray

Dylan

Play pretty much the whole game.  We just can't do that in the future.  Especially when 3 of them aren't producing.

Not sure we have a choice other than to do that in the futre, certainly until Ubel comes back.  Who would you put in the game?

We had 4 guys:

RIvers

Shields

Ray

Dylan

Play pretty much the whole game.  We just can't do that in the future.  Especially when 3 of them aren't producing.

Not sure we have a choice other than to do that in the futre, certainly until Ubel comes back.  Who would you put in the game?

When choosing between the guy who probably won't be productive and the guy who definitely won't be productive, I think Miles is taking his chances with the guy who probably won't be productive.  (I mean, it's not like we have Christian Standhardinger sitting on the bench.)