IT IS TIME!!!

i think the point of the article was lue deserves more attention from the university. He rarely comes back to Nebraska despite being one of the best players to ever play here and hugely successful in the nba.

I have no idea what his perception of the university is, but could it also be that he doesn't necessarily want to come back that often? I know he called out Cleveland and Mexico, MO but maybe UNL just isn't high on his list of influence? 100% speculation. Although, it is the internet so I could just say "a source told me." ;)

I like this take on it.  

http://www.cornnation.com/2016/6/21/11989774/tyronn-lue-cleveland-cavaliers-nebraska-huskers-basketball-nba-lebron-james

Also, can someone explain to me why Stu Lantz's number is retired? Why his is number retired vs someone like Jerry Fort, Tom Baack, or Andre Smith? Was it because of his NBA and announcing career?

I like this take on it.  

http://www.cornnation.com/2016/6/21/11989774/tyronn-lue-cleveland-cavaliers-nebraska-huskers-basketball-nba-lebron-james

Also, can someone explain to me why Stu Lantz's number is retired? Why his is number retired vs someone like Jerry Fort, Tom Baack, or Andre Smith? Was it because of his NBA and announcing career?

Just a guess on my part, but I think jimmykc might take umbrage to your inclusion of Tom Baack on the list....

the worst part of this is that we're going to come off as awful mercenary here.  what college program wouldn't want lebron and kyrie poking around for a day or two with their coach to get his number retired? (that question is completely rhetorical)

Lue probably deserves it regardless, which is kinda the point.  he was one of our best here and has comported himself with dignity top to bottom since (and i even include having him tell Lebron to stfu in the huddle).

I just don't want a situation where Tyronn feels slighted and feels like we're using him and his contacts when he really hasn't been around much -- even though in many ways (cynically) that's exactly what would be happening.  

Some of us still remember loving watching him play and have been rooting for him since.

My guess is that Lue has been too busy with his NBA career to worry a lot about his status in Nebraska, especially since he was not originally from Nebraska. Even if he did have issues with the university or some of the people who were once there, it is never too late to reach out and mend fences. I cite Wade Boggs, Roger Clemens, and Pudge Fisk as baseball examples and ,yes, KU and Wilt as my best basketball example.

Speaking of about time, isn't is about time that Venson Hamilton was inducted into the Nebraska Basketball HOF? He was a Big 12 POTY along with being the all time leader in rebounds and blocked shots.

There are no longer individual team HOFs. Now it's that new thing they built on the east side of the stadium above the track. Just a Nebraska HOF.

I don't understand why there is even a debate here. Retire Strick's, retire Hamilton, retire Lue - who cares?!?!? More jerseys you have hanging in the rafters the better it looks. Honor the players who have done great things here or anywhere else after here. Why do we have to think so small and make this so challenging?

I don't understand why there is even a debate here. Retire Strick's, retire Hamilton, retire Lue - who cares?!?!? More jerseys you have hanging in the rafters the better it looks. Honor the players who have done great things here or anywhere else after here. Why do we have to think so small and make this so challenging?

Very true....but not as good as a few more Championship banners.   ;) 

Ok, but you've got to have jersey numbers for your current players to wear. Unless they un-retire all numbers and just have names in the rafters.

Speaking of about time, isn't is about time that Venson Hamilton was inducted into the Nebraska Basketball HOF? He was a Big 12 POTY along with being the all time leader in rebounds and blocked shots.

There are no longer individual team HOFs. Now it's that new thing they built on the east side of the stadium above the track. Just a Nebraska HOF.

I'm not exactly sure what you are saying.  Here is a link to the Nebraska Basketball's HOF on huskers.com (Tyronn Lue was the last player inducted, in 2013)  Are you saying the individual team lists (i.e. Basketball HOF) are now closed to further additions?

http://www.huskers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=2102&DB_OEM_ID=100

But I don't see anywhere there is a list of 'retired' numbers, or jersey's hanging from the rafters.

You make a good point about running out of numbers for current and new players.

I'm not exactly sure what you are saying.  Here is a link to the Nebraska Basketball's HOF on huskers.com (Tyronn Lue was the last player inducted, in 2013)  Are you saying the individual team lists (i.e. Basketball HOF) are now closed to further additions?

But I don't see anywhere there is a list of 'retired' numbers, or jersey's hanging from the rafters.

I could be wrong, but I think he's talking about an actual hall of fame...There was a basketball Hall of Fame at the Bob.  That was not moved over to PBA.  All the Basketball HoF and other sports that had their own HoF (I'm guessing baseball and vollyball) have now been moved over to Memorial stadium in that building.  I think they all have their own HoF listings, but they are now under one roof. 

As for the comment about Jerseys.  Is there a NCAA rule that limits jersey numbers?  I mean could it get to a point where a team has enough retired that they have to start going to a triple digit number?  they would just have to shrink them down enough to fit on the Jersey.   

I'm not exactly sure what you are saying. Here is a link to the Nebraska Basketball's HOF on huskers.com (Tyronn Lue was the last player inducted, in 2013) Are you saying the individual team lists (i.e. Basketball HOF) are now closed to further additions?

I'm just saying that ceremony's like the one for Lue being inducted into the basketball HOF will no longer happen. It's now a Nebraska HOF so any future basketball players put into it will be recognized at a ceremony alongside cross country runners and bowlers.

I'm not exactly sure what you are saying. Here is a link to the Nebraska Basketball's HOF on huskers.com (Tyronn Lue was the last player inducted, in 2013) Are you saying the individual team lists (i.e. Basketball HOF) are now closed to further additions?

I could be wrong, but I think he's talking about an actual hall of fame...There was a basketball Hall of Fame at the Bob. That was not moved over to PBA. All the Basketball HoF and other sports that had their own HoF (I'm guessing baseball and vollyball) have now been moved over to Memorial stadium in that building. I think they all have their own HoF listings, but they are now under one roof.

As for the comment about Jerseys. Is there a NCAA rule that limits jersey numbers? I mean could it get to a point where a team has enough retired that they have to start going to a triple digit number? they would just have to shrink them down enough to fit on the Jersey.

Triple digits are not allowed, as well as any digit above five. Which limits you to 31 possible numbers for basketball jerseys at any time. Nebraska currently has 28 available numbers with three retired. (Cannot have a 0 and a 00 at the same time either)

I could be wrong, but I think he's talking about an actual hall of fame...There was a basketball Hall of Fame at the Bob. That was not moved over to PBA. All the Basketball HoF and other sports that had their own HoF (I'm guessing baseball and vollyball) have now been moved over to Memorial stadium in that building. I think they all have their own HoF listings, but they are now under one roof.

As for the comment about Jerseys. Is there a NCAA rule that limits jersey numbers? I mean could it get to a point where a team has enough retired that they have to start going to a triple digit number? they would just have to shrink them down enough to fit on the Jersey.

Triple digits are not allowed, as well as any digit above five. Which limits you to 31 possible numbers for basketball jerseys at any time. Nebraska currently has 28 available numbers with three retired. (Cannot have a 0 and a 00 at the same time either)

Thirty-one possibilities?  Twenty-eight after the three that are retired? 

OK, for once, I'm not the grammar cop; I'm now the math cop.

0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15

20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25

30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35

40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45

50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55

Is that not 36 possible numbers?

Which means we could retire Lue's number and still have 32 options.

Or we could just retire his jersey and continue to use his number like they have in football.

Thirty-one possibilities?  Twenty-eight after the three that are retired? 

0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15

20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25

30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35

40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45

50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55

Or we could just retire his jersey and continue to use his number like they have in football.

Can you have a semicolon on a jersey?

Retired vs HOF are two different things

Thirty-one possibilities? Twenty-eight after the three that are retired?

0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15

20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25

30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35

40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45

50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55

Yep, screwed up my math, which is nothing new for me. You are correct.

Soooooooo, to try to put all this in some sort of perspective, whose player numbers have been retired (3)?

Which MBB players have banners, jerseys, or other memorabilia displayed or raised in their honor at the HOF in Memorial Stadium?

At the playing venue (PBA)?

Soooooooo, to try to put all this in some sort of perspective, whose player numbers have been retired (3)?

Which MBB players have banners, jerseys, or other memorabilia displayed or raised in their honor at the HOF in Memorial Stadium?

At the playing venue (PBA)?

Lantz (22), Hoppen (42), and Piatkowski (52) are the numbers hanging in PBA.