Starting lineup

rand909

So, now that our 12 girls are set, who will be our starting lineup?  I think it is safe to assume that Jessica, Rachel and Jasmine will start.  Who else?  Allie has really turned it on and is now a senior.  Will Maddie or Esther get the nod?  Coach really likes the 3 pointer.  Does that mean Emily gets the start?  Will Hannah, who is a terrific 3-point shooter, crack the lineup?  Will Nicea, who is a strong defender get the start a la Hallie Sample?

I can't wait to see how this turns out.

Just my but I'm guessing Jess (5), Rachel (4), Maddie (3), Jas (2) and Hannah (1). But, anyone has a chance to crack the starting line up. I think you could see Grace Mitchell play a lot on the wing. I also like RCJ who is also a good 3 or shooter, passer, and ball handler.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's a little harder to predict/project this year. New coach and staff, that comes in with not many preconceived ideas about positions. And maybe most of all a different style of play. They will have watched video of last years play to get a feel for who can do what. 

I'm not real familiar with Coach Amy's style/schemes, but I understand she plays a lot of players, and keeps up the pace of the game. Might see lots more rotations going in and out. So, that could affect who's the starting line up. Connie wasn't a "platooner", rather played her starters most of the game.

All the players are starting fresh, and have to demonstrate their capabilities, experience, etc. Got to think the players coming back will have a foot up on the competition, then which of the rookies will break through?

The returning freshman from last year, will probably be different players compared to last year. Considering everything, just how the team will fit together position wise, is really up in the air.

New freshman?  No way to know now. Getting them together will tell the tale. Doubt any of the freshmen will start, unless we have  there's a diamond or two, in the rough that will break through.(maybe a starter later after a few games to get a feel for the pace and schemes.) As we all know the difference from HS to the B1G is HUGE.

Wish I could watch practices....suppose they'll have open practices?   :P

>Connie wasn't a "platooner", rather played her starters most of the game.

Wrong,  Connie was very much a 'platooner' when she had uninjured reliable players to run in & out.  Go back and check the 2010-11 team. It's tough having 9-10 healthy players that are good enough to play B1G level basketball.  It will be tough for Amy to do it this year.  We shall see.  

For the last two years Yori had to play players too many minutes including some with injuries. Some of this was due to defections.  Who is responsible for creating proper depth.  I think it's the head coach.  Some will say it's just bad luck.  I think not.  One prime example was last year with Cincore.  Started and played an excellent game and then didn't get off the bench in the next one. 

>Connie wasn't a "platooner", rather played her starters most of the game.

Wrong,  Connie was very much a 'platooner' when she had uninjured reliable players to run in & out.  Go back and check the 2010-11 team. It's tough having 9-10 healthy players that are good enough to play B1G level basketball.  It will be tough for Amy to do it this year.  We shall see.  

Maybe I was watching a different team the last few years. Connie always was playing the starters about 75% of the game. (more in some cases)  The game stats show that. ...what ever the reason. Wishful thinking doesn't change that. 

If you have to go back about 5 years to find where more players got floor time....sorry, but I guess you prove my point

For the last two years Yori had to play players too many minutes including some with injuries. Some of this was due to defections.  Who is responsible for creating proper depth.  I think it's the head coach.  Some will say it's just bad luck.  I think not.  One prime example was last year with Cincore.  Started and played an excellent game and then didn't get off the bench in the next one. 

All Fastbreaker was correctly pointing out was that from a philosophical standpoint, Yori actually was a "platooner", and believed in going deeper on the bench than many coaches.  If you go back through the archives, there were numerous articles about her philosophy of up-tempo play , extended court defense, and frequent substitution.  Circumstances led to less of that the last couple of years, but to the extent Red Steve's post said going with a short lineup was a Yori coaching philosophy, that wasn't the case.    There is a 14 year history to look at, and a lot of people just want to look at the last year or two.   

All my comments on this subject relate to the last 2 years.  Were we going to break through that lack of depth situation?  Maybe but we will never know.  I expect when more players get an opportunity in games some will fail but some will be an asset to improving depth.  I can over look mistakes by young players but they need to pick up consistency over their career.