2017 G Thomas Allen - LOI

Here is information on Thomas Allen from a USA Today article published last Saturday:

HAMPTON, Va. – Back in December, we dubbed Thomas Allen “the best junior point guard you’ve never heard of.” That much, at least from a national perspective, hasn’t changed.

Allen still remains unranked by every major national scouting service; good thing for Allen that college coaches could care less about rankings.

“Since the summer season started, Xavier, Ohio State, Butler, Cincinnati have all reached out,” said Allen, who scored 21 points and dished out five assists in Garner Road West’s (N.C.) 67-49 win against National Phenoms Gold (Washington, D.C.) Saturday at the Southern Jam Fest.

Allen’s 22-point, five-assist per game averages will be hard to ignore, despite any pause college coaches have in recruiting him.

“I think the biggest thing I’ve heard is about my size (6-foot-1),” Allen said. “That’s not something I can control. I just try to go out and play as hard as I can and do everything I can to get the win. That’s been working so far.”

I went and looked at a number of his videos.  Reminds me a bit of Tarin Smith.  Game is below the rim.  Good handles.  Appears to be a decent perimeter shooter.  Likes the floater on the drive but isn't long or explosive enough to attack the rim.  Granted, this is from a year ago, but it's pretty representative of what I've seen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5sUMv9uoTUE

• 2 months later...

Reminds me of a young, skinny Chris Paul. Grounded game, explosive and decisive, but not overly athletic. Always looking to pass but never actually specifically looking at one thing (in other words, he sees everything, but you're not ready for it as a defender). Has the floater, explosive change of speed.

Edit: yep, just watched another video - Chris Paul is what I'll go with.

• 2 weeks later...

We'll need to wait for Norm's final assessment on the shot tho...

Norm???

Extremely quick release.  Seems to have good touch.  Shoots well off the dribble.  Has a nice floater.  Appears to have good range.  Should be able to create his own shot at the next level but also looks like a good facilitator.  Doesn't get much jump into the jumper but it's a compact motion on the shot that should be very repeatable.  Sneaky athletic.  Saw a vid of him dunking quite easily multiple times.

Norm???

Extremely quick release.  Seems to have good touch.  Shoots well off the dribble.  Has a nice floater.  Appears to have good range.  Should be able to create his own shot at the next level but also looks like a good facilitator.  Doesn't get much jump into the jumper but it's a compact motion on the shot that should be very repeatable.  Sneaky athletic.  Saw a vid of him dunking quite easily multiple times.

That's the Normy seal of approval.  Also, it appears that he has relatively hair-free legs, so that's two big checkmarks in the "do want" box.

Anybody have any thoughts on the way his knees bend?

:D

Norm???

That's the Normy seal of approval.  Also, it appears that he has relatively hair-free legs, so that's two big checkmarks in the "do want" box.

What color is his basement and/or what kind of memorabilia does he have? Too deep off a call back?

Norm???

What color is his basement and/or what kind of memorabilia does he have? Too deep off a call back?

Ed Chang is visiting Iowa, maybe he can find out what type of accouterments Mike Gesell had in his locker.  :ph34r:  :blink: