Kinda thought we would of heard some kind of rumblings by now about a possible grad transfer

So here is a conspiracy theory for you. There is a big man grad transfer waiting to announce his transfer to Nebraska, but only if AWIII returns. See, a big man needs a 3 point sharp shooter to keep the middle open. So this theoretical big man will decide where he goes after AWIII announces his intentions. Now understand, this is not inside information, just a theory.

Regardless, my reputation for inside info must be ruined after passing on a tidbit about a grad big to be announced the end of April.

Kinda figured Miles had another ace up his sleeve and that some possible recruits or visitors would come out after Jordy committed? Been kind of quiet.. Is he gonna keep scholly open or is he just taking his time?

He addressed this directly on Sports Nightly Wednesday night.  Said if we were able to get someone who could help, we would do it.  If not, we would save it, and take another guy in 2017.  I realize that isn't very specific, but clearly we have irons in the fire and haven't moved on from the 2016 class.  

Kinda figured Miles had another ace up his sleeve and that some possible recruits or visitors would come out after Jordy committed? Been kind of quiet.. Is he gonna keep scholly open or is he just taking his time?

He addressed this directly on Sports Nightly Wednesday night. Said if we were able to get someone who could help, we would do it. If not, we would save it, and take another guy in 2017. I realize that isn't very specific, but clearly we have irons in the fire and haven't moved on from the 2016 class.

It feels like this is the 4th or 5th year he has said that.

I have been really happy with Miles recruiting but it seems like we never have a full roster.

I have less angst about this than others.  If you take a guy just to fill the maximum number, and the guy is a stiff or doesn't fit, it doesn't add anything.  And it can hurt you the next year.  We have steadily improved in being able to get legitimate Big 10 players.  But it we can't get a last one this year who actually has a chance to contribute, I would rather use the ship the next year for a good player.  You basically only play 8-10 guys anyway, and the days of guys willing to sit the bench for a couple of years to develop seem to be about over, so why add a guy to sit the end of the bench and then transfer, just to avoid a "self-imposed sanction"?

I have been really happy with Miles recruiting but it seems like we never have a full roster.

At some point it would be nice not to be on a self imposed sanction.

I think this sort of thing happens a lot more often than most people realize.
I get it. But we should be able to get to 13 every year and then lose some in transfers.

I don't have a lot of angst about it. But it is May so what else are we going to talk about

He addressed this directly on Sports Nightly Wednesday night. Said if we were able to get someone who could help, we would do it. If not, we would save it, and take another guy in 2017. I realize that isn't very specific, but clearly we have irons in the fire and haven't moved on from the 2016 class.

So white leaves do we carry 2 scholarships over to next year??

Try 3

My thought on this is that you don't fill it to just fill it.  As Norm pointed out, you get a few interesting kids on a ship then.  However, by having 13 worthy kids on ship you get kids practicing against better players which leads to better players.  No I don't lose sleep over this and think recruiting is trending up in a big way.  Just wish we could fill all 13.

Try 3

We have 1 open currently. AWIII leaving would make 2.

Shields and Parker became Roby and Horne. Evelyn and Hammond transferring became Palmer and Tshimanga. That leaves just the one open that was already open pending whatever AWIII decides to do. Right?

Try 3

Shields and Parker became Roby and Horne. Evelyn and Hammond transferring became Palmer and Tshimanga. That leaves just the one open that was already open pending whatever AWIII decides to do. Right?

Try 3

You forgot the Birds keeps telling us that TW is gone if AWIII doesn't return.

Try 3

Try 3

You forgot the Birds keeps telling us that TW is gone if AWIII doesn't return.

Yeah sort of forgot about the birds and was going off of what publicly exists as a possibility. Anything is possible so we should just assume that several others are leaving too and that we have 7 open scholarships.

What I don't get about Webster leaving is that if he continues to improve at the same rate that he did last offseason then he has a legitimate shot to play his way into a better pro job. I'm sure somebody heard something but Tai saying he is leaving if White leaves sounds a little bogus to me. It's like a 12 year old following the crowd and doing what his friends are doing. Hopefully White comes back so Tai will know what to do.

I have less angst about this than others.  If you take a guy just to fill the maximum number, and the guy is a stiff or doesn't fit, it doesn't add anything.  And it can hurt you the next year.  We have steadily improved in being able to get legitimate Big 10 players.  But it we can't get a last one this year who actually has a chance to contribute, I would rather use the ship the next year for a good player.  You basically only play 8-10 guys anyway, and the days of guys willing to sit the bench for a couple of years to develop seem to be about over, so why add a guy to sit the end of the bench and then transfer, just to avoid a "self-imposed sanction"?

This sums up my thoughts on the matter in a much better way than I could have. 

I agree with you in that I would much rather hold on to the scholorship for the following recruiting class if we can't find a good fit.  But, that's been said every year now....eventually, I think it would be worthwhile to start utilizing all available scholarships.  If the staff can't find a full class of Big 10 "type" players...that's on them.  But with Miles locking up a future big man...it's hard to complain about his recruiting efforts...as, we have seriously upgraded the talent level on the roster.  In today's day and age with all the transfers, filling out the roster may not be a huge deal....and with Miles stating he believes the scholarship limit should be at 12 maybe he would prefer just to stay at that number more years than not?