Interesting read from wife of WBB Coach

huskerchode

"I’m seeing girls that are more concerned about posting on their snap chat and Twitter they had a career high 15 points and were going to party the night away, than those that love the game so much that they are hungry to make themselves and their teammates better."

Natalie Romeo was the 2nd kind of girl.  I won't soon forget her tearful interview session after the NIT loss in which she explained that she was sad (tearful) the season was over because she has such a passion for the game that she wasn't ready for it to be over and just wanted to play more.

You need kids like Natalie Romeo on your squad.  If Row 6 is correct, we just lost ours.

"I’m seeing players band together, not on the court, but off the court, claiming they are being emotionally abused because their coach yells at them and is demanding.  They then sue the coach and university for all of the hardships they are going through."

And then the schools settle those suits for $350,000 because, even if they don't think their coach did anything wrong (and retain them because of that belief) there's still a chance a jury could believe the girls who banded together to complain.

I totally agree with basketballjones previous comment and summary.  The great coaches adapt to society's ever changing landscape.  A prime example is our own John Cook.  Several years ago he outlined the how young girls entering college have changed over the previous 10 years.  What did he do?  He realized after having people around him evaluate his inter personal skills that he would need to change in some of the areas.  He said he did and we saw the successful results this past year.

I will say that it is true what you are saying Jones, but...   as a teacher I will say that the youth of today as a whole, not all, but many don't have a very high level of self discipline.  I will even say that in the last 20 years of teaching it has gone from I will try with out asking for adult help; to I need help before they even look at the problem.

It is also interesting that as a youth football coach now, I ask my players what they did to get ready for football this summer.  Most tell me that they played a ton of video games and stayed in their basements.  I also see a bunch of our players who can't run very far, or can't even get in a three point stance because their hamstrings are so tight.  Which tells me that they sit for long periods of time.  These are 4th, 5th and 6th grade boys.

I don't yell and scream, nor am I their best friend, but I do agree that they must trust you before they are willing to really try anything.  

Just my $.02 worth.

After the press conference, he was cornered by a handful of media. I waked up and squeezed in next to the wall on his right side, just in time to hear him make one of the most poignant statements of the entire season.

“It’s getting much much harder to connect with every kid on the team in the way that you need to, that they need you to,” Auriemma said. “Yet look at our record and where we are and what we’ve done. What we present to the general public is one thing; what we deal with internally is another.”

It’s a refrain I’m hearing more and more from the generation just before me, how difficult it is to relate to today’s young people, who would rather text someone sitting across from them than talk one-on-one. Hearing Auriemma say that he was having trouble relating, however, was an eye-opener. And possibly a sign.

http://womenshoopsworld.com/2016/04/07/is-geno-auriemma-preparing-to-retire/