Bakari Evelyn Transferring

I wish it were Fuller instead, Bakari had a much higher ceiling.

Agree big time.  Bakari can play.  He was a victim of us not having any big men as well in a way.  Bakari will do well somewhere else.  And he could no well at a higher level program than most here realize. 

Agree big time.  Bakari can play.  He was a victim of us not having any big men as well in a way.  Bakari will do well somewhere else.  And he could no well at a higher level program than most here realize. 

there was almost no chance of fuller leaving this year. it's way more likely he'll be a grad transfer next year and not have to sit out a year.

there was almost no chance of fuller leaving this year. it's way more likely he'll be a grad transfer next year and not have to sit out a year.

Yeah.  Understood.  Reading my post back, I should have made it more clear that I was just making a point that I think Bakari can play a bit.  Ambivalent on Fuller.  Just never seen a kid forgot how to shoot as much as he has.  Actually, maybe I have.  Andy Markowski.  Very similar in their path of not being able to shoot, although Markowski had an injury that may have contributed to his regression.  Both lights out in high school.  Both unable to throw it in the ocean from the beach in college. 

Yeah.  Understood.  Reading my post back, I should have made it more clear that I was just making a point that I think Bakari can play a bit.  Ambivalent on Fuller.  Just never seen a kid forgot how to shoot as much as he has.  Actually, maybe I have.  Andy Markowski.  Very similar in their path of not being able to shoot, although Markowski had an injury that may have contributed to his regression.  Both lights out in high school.  Both unable to throw it in the ocean from the beach in college. 

Wait a second...Fuller can shoot with both hands?!? :lol:

I have to disagree on that one.  There was a reason his only other true offers were Oakland, UTEP, and Loyola-Chicago.  He won't be playing at the Big 10 level in the future.  Mid major at best.  He's not going to suddenly develop an outside shot at this age.  But he sure did have a fan club here.  the "back-up QB/3rd string I-back syndrome".

But, Bakari seems like a great guy, and I wish him well where ever he lands.  Will be a good guy to have on a team at the right level,.  

Soooooooooooo I'm assuming Webster is our backup PG now?  And Roby will be seeing plenty of time at 2G?

That's assuming that Webster doesn't beat out Glynn Watson for the point, but that makes a lot of sense. 

Yeah..that or us landing a 5th year transfer at guard.  Hopefully Roby comes ready to play.  We are going to need him

Also, Tai Webster has played both PG and SG and he knows our system. If we want both Watson and Gill playing 25+ minutes a game, that leaves Tai 25+ minutes to back up both of them and covers your guard play (except for injuries and/or foul trouble)

Is Roby fast enough to guard a SG? I really think he might be.

The thing is his length will make up for any lack of quickness he might have compared to a normal SG, and I don't think he lacks that much quickness.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
On ‎4‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 1:35 PM, huskercwg said:

The reality is that the way you climb to the top is that your bottom tier of players have to push the top tier of players.  After our first 7 or eight players, we had a significant drop off in talent.  For us to get and stay in the top quarter of our conference we need a strong depth chart with players pushing players.  I look at the two recent departures as an opportunity to get better. 

If I may add, someone like Nick Fuller can always play on my roster.  You cannot have a team of them, but a couple of Nick types are good for the team.  They will work their butts off, they are glue players and they can play a couple of minutes a half at a high volume and they can change momentum. 

Sort of interesting going back and reading our reactions to a player leaving.  I guess one never knows the ultimate outcome.  Are we now better or worse off?

1 hour ago, huskercwg said:

Sort of interesting going back and reading our reactions to a player leaving.  I guess one never knows the ultimate outcome.  Are we now better or worse off?

Looking back on the roster it's probably either him or Evan Taylor as we wouldn't have needed the PG depth from Taylor. (having both = no Copeland)

Bakari would be a junior on this team...probably a rotational player. Doubtful he'd be starting and potentially never starting with Watson and now Allen here.

Seemed like a good teammate so he probably would have fit in despite no doubt wanting to be a starter.  No doubt would have helped though I'd have to see more than beating up on Chicago St in an exhibition to really feel anything one way or another. Tarin Smith had a couple of 20 point games last year. His overall numbers don't really have me missing him at all.

Just now, hskr4life said:

Haha!  Still going at Parker again this year I see.  Good to have you back!  

Not going after him.  But Evelyn wasn't bad by any means.   Parker offered very little in the grand scheme of things.   Think it is real fair to say that our reliance on him cost us.   Smith and Evelyn both lost time to him and really weren't any worse.   Neither Eveylyn or Smith are/were great players, but both are guys that could have contributed/helped here last year or this.

Enough already.   Bakari may be one of the most overrated player on message boards in the history of message boards.  3rd string i-back love back in the day.   The type of Big 10 player you finish last with.    If we still have that guy on scholarship and don't take Allen when he becomes available as a result, well.....