Beckner leaving

ajb5856

An OWH article about this says, "Beckner landed no recruits while at Nebraska nor apparently left any direct leads." So, unless this just devastates some of the current players it would seem that this is an opportunity to improve the recruiting strength of the staff. It will be interesting to see who is chosen to replace him.

I wish Coach Beckner all the best at Boise.

He was probably our best X and O coach on our staff.  Hopefully we can get someone that can truly help Miles on that part as well as pull in recruits as well.  That is asking a lot. 

Royal, do you know this first hand?  That is not what I heard.  But that said, what precisely are the roles of our assistant coaches?  I have come to understand that recruiting, teaching one or two of the position groups and game scouting are three of their major roles; but do they draw up our offensive and defensive schemes as well? 

He was probably our best X and O coach on our staff.  Hopefully we can get someone that can truly help Miles on that part as well as pull in recruits as well.  That is asking a lot. 

If you have to choose just one, give me recruiting. It's amazing how well one improves at coaching with better players.

Royal, do you know this first hand?  That is not what I heard.  But that said, what precisely are the roles of our assistant coaches?  I have come to understand that recruiting, teaching one or two of the position groups and game scouting are three of their major roles; but do they draw up our offensive and defensive schemes as well? 

No inside information.  Watching closely showed me that when we started playing better for a stretch, especially offensively, was when he seemed to be taking on a much larger role in the X and O aspect of the games.  He was much more involved giving input after a certain point.  And I didn't find it to be a coincidence at all, but it is possible that it was. 

I am not highly confident in our current staff makeup in X and O ability.  While recruiting is obviously the most important thing, Miles could use someone that can coach as well.  We are possibly in the league with the best coaches.  We got outcoached a lot the last couple of seasons.  That cannot continue. 

He was probably our best X and O coach on our staff. Hopefully we can get someone that can truly help Miles on that part as well as pull in recruits as well. That is asking a lot.

Royal, do you know this first hand? That is not what I heard. But that said, what precisely are the roles of our assistant coaches? I have come to understand that recruiting, teaching one or two of the position groups and game scouting are three of their major roles; but do they draw up our offensive and defensive schemes as well?

No inside information. Watching closely showed me that when we started playing better for a stretch, especially offensively, was when he seemed to be taking on a much larger role in the X and O aspect of the games. He was much more involved giving input after a certain point. And I didn't find it to be a coincidence at all, but it is possible that it was.

I am not highly confident in our current staff makeup in X and O ability. While recruiting is obviously the most important thing, Miles could use someone that can coach as well. We are possibly in the league with the best coaches. We got outcoached a lot the last couple of seasons. That cannot continue.

Not trying to be a douche but can someone explain to me what being out coached actually means? To me, it's a phrase that's loosely thrown about after a loss, usually a close one, where the game could have gone either way but a couple things went wrong and it ended poorly.

I know it's the coaching staff's job to game plan and make in game adjustments to that plan to find what works. What if their plan wasn't flawed or wrong? It was essentially a good idea but didn't pan out for whatever reason.

Coaches have their own reasons for when and why the do/don't do things. Yes, sometimes being out coached is obvious, but other times I feel the saying is a fan reaction to a loss that could've been a win.

Your second paragraph covers what not getting out-coached is. A coach can have a good plan, make in game adjustments and still lose because the other team hit a big shot, your players didn't execute or even miss free throws,nor sometimes you lose because of bad luck, like a blown call or a half court shot.

When you have a lousy plan, or fail to recognize/adjust to what the other team is doing when they are exploiting your weaknesses, you are getting out coached. Sometimes it is something as simple as not settling your team down when they are rattled by calling time out at a critical point in the game.

Sometimes you can coach well, the players play their hearts out and you still lose because the other team is just that good.

He was probably our best X and O coach on our staff. Hopefully we can get someone that can truly help Miles on that part as well as pull in recruits as well. That is asking a lot.

Royal, do you know this first hand? That is not what I heard. But that said, what precisely are the roles of our assistant coaches? I have come to understand that recruiting, teaching one or two of the position groups and game scouting are three of their major roles; but do they draw up our offensive and defensive schemes as well?
No inside information. Watching closely showed me that when we started playing better for a stretch, especially offensively, was when he seemed to be taking on a much larger role in the X and O aspect of the games. He was much more involved giving input after a certain point. And I didn't find it to be a coincidence at all, but it is possible that it was.

I am not highly confident in our current staff makeup in X and O ability. While recruiting is obviously the most important thing, Miles could use someone that can coach as well. We are possibly in the league with the best coaches. We got outcoached a lot the last couple of seasons. That cannot continue.

Not trying to be a douche but can someone explain to me what being out coached actually means? To me, it's a phrase that's loosely thrown about after a loss, usually a close one, where the game could have gone either way but a couple things went wrong and it ended poorly.

I know it's the coaching staff's job to game plan and make in game adjustments to that plan to find what works. What if their plan wasn't flawed or wrong? It was essentially a good idea but didn't pan out for whatever reason.

Coaches have their own reasons for when and why the do/don't do things. Yes, sometimes being out coached is obvious, but other times I feel the saying is a fan reaction to a loss that could've been a win.

Outcoached means that the other staff coached better than you did.  Not sure what is so complicated?  I didn't say anything about any results, nor does any end result having any bearing whatsoever on if I think we got the better end of the coaching spectrum that game.  Perhaps others use it loosely.  I don't.  And I feel Miles and his staff got outcoached far too many times the last couple of seasons.  It probably is not a coincidence that we lost a lot of games as a result.  

Your second paragraph covers what not getting out-coached is. A coach can have a good plan, make in game adjustments and still lose because the other team hit a big shot, your players didn't execute or even miss free throws,nor sometimes you lose because of bad luck, like a blown call or a half court shot.

When you have a lousy plan, or fail to recognize/adjust to what the other team is doing when they are exploiting your weaknesses, you are getting out coached. Sometimes it is something as simple as not settling your team down when they are rattled by calling time out at a critical point in the game.

Sometimes you can coach well, the players play their hearts out and you still lose because the other team is just that good.

Again not rocket science.  Getting outcoached means the other team coached better than you did.  I cannot believe there is so much confusion about what getting outchoached means.  It has nothing to do with the end result of the game.  It is simply did you coach better or did they coach better.  You can be badly outcoached and still win a game and you can outcoach someone else and lose the game.  Making or missing an extreme percentage of shots has nothing to do with coaching.  Not making any type of adjustment on simple pick and rolls that result in a no name NW freshman scoring 30 or so points mostly on offensive rebounds because of a flawed defensive scheme does.  Hope this helps you understand. 

One of the bigger moments of Miles being out coached was in the Creighton game two years ago. Late in the game, it was close, CU was in bounding and Miles made a substitution, I think Pitchford came out. Immediately, before the player had left the court McDermott subbed in their big guy. CU in bounded, he got position on the block, got the layup and the foul and essentially was the end of the game. The details might not be exact, but it was that type of situation. Situational awareness is a big part of in game coaching.

That said, I thought NU got a lot better this year not by any strategic adjustments that I could notice, but more-so because guys like Jacobson and Morrow got better throughout the year. That and the last six or seven games, including the Big Ten Tourney, you saw the guys figure out how much urgency they had to play with to win at this level. You saw their play jump dramatically. Didn't necessarily translate into wins, but there seemed to be a light bulb that went on. If they carry that over, you'll see a much better team next year in terms of Wins and Losses, I believe. Some of that may have been Beckner, IDK, but I'm not sure I'd say it was an X's and O's deal.

Again not rocket science.  Getting outcoached means the other team coached better than you did.  I cannot believe there is so much confusion about what getting outchoached means.  It has nothing to do with the end result of the game.  It is simply did you coach better or did they coach better.  You can be badly outcoached and still win a game and you can outcoach someone else and lose the game.  Making or missing an extreme percentage of shots has nothing to do with coaching.  Not making any type of adjustment on simple pick and rolls that result in a no name NW freshman scoring 30 or so points mostly on offensive rebounds because of a flawed defensive scheme does.  Hope this helps you understand. 

Could you argue, at the college level anyways, that part of being "out-coach" is being "out-recruited?" Makes it very difficult to judge whether or not you need an X's and O's guy or a recruiting guy for your next assistant. 

In my opinion, a staff would be best served to have 2/3 assistants as big time recruiting guys, with all the connections. And the other coach is an X's and O's guy that acts as the right hand man to the head coach. Your assistants should have two roles basically, recruiting and in-season scouts on opponents. With one of the assistants that's not as much the recruiter, primarily in charge of delivering the scouts. 

Let your GAs, and those other types of positions deal with player workouts and individual drills. 

Outcoached means that the other staff coached better than you did. Not sure what is so complicated? I didn't say anything about any results, nor does any end result having any bearing whatsoever on if I think we got the better end of the coaching spectrum that game. Perhaps others use it loosely. I don't. And I feel Miles and his staff got outcoached far too many times the last couple of seasons. It probably is not a coincidence that we lost a lot of games as a result.

Ok I guess if there's a blatant miscue by a coach I would recognize it but to me it will probably always be confusing because it's subjective. If I was a coach I would recognize it better I suppose but my ideas would be different than another coaches ideas on what to do and when.

This discussion is fascinating to me.

I think the VAAAAAASST majority of the time that people talk about a losing coach getting out-coached, they are just talking out of their asses and don't really know.

It's very difficult for even a trained eye to discern the difference between a coach having a bad plan versus the players failing to execute the plan versus the plan worked but we just aren't good enough to win against a team with that much _________.

There have, however, been times where you could see that the opposing coach (or even our coach) saw something and exploited it.

A few years ago when we played Kansas State and they had that one-and-done kid who promised to beat us by 50 at our house ... and we won?  Well, I went to the practices leading up to that game and if Frank Martin or Bob Huggins had gone, they'd have not been out-coached as badly as they were.

But what Doc told his players would be available was available.  Their wings were overplaying trying to deny ball reversal, leaving them exposed to back cuts and we were doing that time after time from the left wing and then the right wing.  It worked like a charm. And we beat their asses.  And I could honestly say that Doc outcoached the KSU coach that day because everything he said would happen did.  With the talent disparity, we had no reason to even be in that game let alone win it.  It came down to coaching.

Now, if you want to tell me that Tim Miles got outcoached in a game, fine.  But don't point to the scoreboard as your basis for that conclusion because that's crap. That's just a sour grapes fan pissed that we lost.