Beckner leaving

ajb5856

I hate to do it like this since I don't know anything but wanted to pose some questions for when it happens.

Do assistants not like working with Miles? Or is our assistant coach turnover rate considered "normal". Coaches move around, it's just part of the profession, but at our current rate of at least one a year? What gives?

And no I haven't read the entire board yet so apologies if this is discussed elsewhere. Just heard some things that I don't like.

I guess there's always potential for staff turnover so why not discuss it. If there's some news that isn't out but is going to be then I guess it wouldn't hurt deleting this thread. But when is it appropriate to discuss negatives? Should we never discuss things that go wrong during the season either? Recruiting is a 24/7/365 ordeal so recruits can get ahold of the negative message board banter any time they like.

Ok so what do you think the chances are we get Harriman back as an assistant since his family lives in town?

I thought I read that Ali was looking for a spot on the staff.

Yes you did read that. I think I read that too. Would be glad to have Ali stay here at Nebraska.

I guess there's always potential for staff turnover so why not discuss it. If there's some news that isn't out but is going to be then I guess it wouldn't hurt deleting this thread. But when is it appropriate to discuss negatives? Should we never discuss things that go wrong during the season either? Recruiting is a 24/7/365 ordeal so recruits can get ahold of the negative message board banter any time they like.

I honestly don't know if this is a negative or not....probably a mix like everything else in the world.  However, what I do know is that for some reason this information hasn't gone out from the U yet.  On the off chance it's because we have a recruit on campus, I didn't want it to come from here because being first above all else to me isn't the main goal of this board. Also, this isn't information that had some sort of time limit....like discussing it on Friday wouldn't make a difference vs discussing it today.

I PMed the guys who started this these threads about why I made them disappear. I appreciate not seeing any "why did these threads get deleted" posts after the fact.  As you can see the threads were not deleted but were hidden, which is what I'll typically do if I think a thread/post is either inappropriate or I see something where I don't know what to think and I need to process it.

I don't expect everyone to agree with why I run things like this but just wanted to give an explanation of where I'm coming from. Also, if anyone wants any of their posts from before actually deleted, just edit the post to say delete and i'll remove it.

Do assistants not like working with Miles? Or is our assistant coach turnover rate considered "normal".

If you look at them with no context it's a high turnover rate. Looking at them individually I'm not seeing a pattern other than Miles not necessarily hiring guys that are going to stay here forever as a criteria. (with the exception of Smith and Molinari)

One of our short time coaches heading to the Pacific Northwest, honestly think there may be some staff concerns about Miles longevity.

At the start this was a marriage on convenience as we were in a lurch with the whole Burno fiasco and Beckner needed a job. As far as I know we don't have any guys he recruited that were close to signing so unknown how he was going to end up as a recruiter here. At this time of the year we have a pretty good chance at finding a pretty good guy out there...heck we might want to think about looking internally this time as we have some pretty good candidates already in house. 

One of our short time coaches heading to the Pacific Northwest, honestly think there may be some staff concerns about Miles longevity.

At the start this was a marriage on convenience as we were in a lurch with the whole Burno fiasco and Beckner needed a job. As far as I know we don't have any guys he recruited that were close to signing so unknown how he was going to end up as a recruiter here. At this time of the year we have a pretty good chance at finding a pretty good guy out there...heck we might want to think about looking internally this time as we have some pretty good candidates already in house.

Agree it was kind of a last minute hire, but I liked him as a hire. We will see if miles is able to land someone who can not only coach offense, but recruit like a mastermind. Good connections aren't always a bad thing.

If he is to leave there should be plenty of time for miles to go searching.

Agree it was kind of a last minute hire, but I liked him as a hire. We will see if miles is able to land someone who can not only coach offense, but recruit like a mastermind. Good connections aren't always a bad thing.

If he is to leave there should be plenty of time for miles to go searching.

Beckner is heading to Boise State at a BIG pay cut. 

Do assistants not like working with Miles? Or is our assistant coach turnover rate considered "normal".

If assistants don't like working with Miles (which I highly doubt), they don't seem to mind associating with him after they are gone.  Miles and his son just spent the weekend with Coach Smith and his son (nothing is private anymore, is it?).  Avery day was celebrated a year after Harriman left.  Am I missing someone?

You can't blame Smith for wanting to take a shot at being a head coach himself after so many years as Miles assistant.  Harriman left for a higher responsibility position at a respectable Lobo basketball program.

That said, I hate to lose Beckner if this turns out to be true.  Miles had him speak a couple nights on the coaches radio program and he's as high energy and articulate as Miles himself.  Maybe this rumor has as much legs as Rosenthal's prediction that a Louisville center might end up in Lincoln.