Yori Resigns

hskr4life

Via UNL

Connie Yori

“After fourteen years as the Head Coach of the Women’s Basketball program I have made the difficult decision to step down.  As some of you may know, this has been a very challenging time for my family and in the best interest of all of us, this is the right decision.  I want to thank the student-athletes, assistant coaches, staff and administrators, especially Shawn Eichorst, for his leadership and support during this difficult time in my life.  Finally, thank you to the incredible Husker Nation for their passionate and unwavering support throughout my time in Lincoln.  I will always be a proud Husker.”

Shawn Eichorst

“Earlier today, Connie Yori informed me of her decision to step down as the Head Women’s Basketball Coach at the University of Nebraska.  Coach Yori achieved great success in the program during her tenure and we appreciate her many contributions to the University.  We wish her and her family all the best and we are grateful for her dedicated service to Nebraska.  We will begin a national search for a new head coach immediately and will not comment or speculate on the search or candidates until an announcement is made.”

Let's just give ol' Norm some prognosticating credit here.

At 8:53 this morning, I said:

Let me just encapsulate a set of rumors from multiple sources:

There's an Eichorst problem.  (See LJS article linked above about University examining the "leadership culture" within the athletic department.)

Roughly half the Bd of Regents don't like Shawn Eichorst for various reasons but exacerbated by his firing of Bo Pelini.

There are some issues with Connie, but if a coaching change needs to be made (this might still be up in the air) the Regents don't want a short-timer of an AD hiring the next coach.

Eichorst can't be fired until we have a new Chancellor.  And they haven't picked one of those yet.

So, any rumors of Yori's job situation at least with regard to any involuntary separation of employment are going to probably be on the back burner until a new Chancellor is hired.

In other words, as long as Shawn Eichorst is AD -- and he will be at least until we have a new Chancellor -- Connie's job is probably secure-ish.

And at 12:52, almost exactly 4 hours later, the University announced she was stepping down.  Did I call it or what?

Yeah, pretty much the "or what" part.  :unsure:

I hope there aren't any players transferring or decommiting because she is leaving

My thoughts exactly. I choose not to speculate on all the other stuff but hope that we don't lose players as a result of this.

umm... aren't the players + assistant coaches the one's who wanted her gone? at least that's the way the article makes it sound.

I hope there aren't any players transferring or decommiting because she is leaving

My thoughts exactly. I choose not to speculate on all the other stuff but hope that we don't lose players as a result of this.

umm... aren't the players + assistant coaches the one's who wanted her gone? at least that's the way the article makes it sound.

Yes but we got 5 recruits coming in.

Wait a minute.  Coach Yori has been here 14 years and this is suddenly a problem?  Why would the Ford girl come back to assist if she had been there before as a player.  Why would Amy Stephens come back? Why did Sample, Cady, Griffin, and numerous others stay all four years? Why has the Finch girl stayed loyal?  Methinks something may be rotten in the state of Denmark.  

Here is what is hard to understand.  Apparently all these issues exist.  Yet despite these issues we have the returning freshman of the year?  This recruiting class as well as the last few have been great?  How doesn't word get around to these recruits that we have this perceived/real coaching "issue."  Some of this makes me believe that 1+1=3???

Wait a minute.  Coach Yori has been here 14 years and this is suddenly a problem?  Why would the Ford girl come back to assist if she had been there before as a player.  Why would Amy Stephens come back? Why did Sample, Cady, Griffin, and numerous others stay all four years? Why has the Finch girl stayed loyal?  Methinks something may be rotten in the state of Denmark.  

Here is what is hard to understand.  Apparently all these issues exist.  Yet despite these issues we have the returning freshman of the year?  This recruiting class as well as the last few have been great?  How doesn't word get around to these recruits that we have this perceived/real coaching "issue."  Some of this makes me believe that 1+1=3???

Even if these allegations are blown out of proportion and Yori would have been eventually been exonerated, she would be doing so while also dealing with her personal life. I'll take at face value that she's stepping down in the best interest of her family.

Thought it was fairly humorous that Rosenthal reports that "a former director of operations" is his source for some of the information about the lying she was asked to do, and some forms of discrimination...

There's literally only one other director of operations than the current one (Finch) - Jan Bethae, who basically had been there since 09-10, and no one else has ever held that title before her.  

edit: wrong date

Thought it was fairly humorous that Rosenthal reports that "a former director of operations" is his source for some of the information about the lying she was asked to do, and some forms of discrimination...

There's literally only one other director of operations than the current one (Finch) - Jan Bethae, who basically had been there since 09-10, and no one else has ever held that title before her.  

Interesting.

So, Jan Bethea is alleging discrimination.  Hmmmmmmm.

THIS Journal Star article talks about Ashley Ford joining the program as an assistant coach, and Dayna Finch -- who had had 3 kids in about as many years -- sliding over into the DOBO role after Jan Bethea left "for personal reasons" earlier that month.

So Bethea leaves for "personal reasons," which conveniently opens up a DOBO position for Finch that better fits the demands of her growing family, and then Ford is able to join the program, all within a couple of week's time.  That's really fast turnaround.

The LJS article is dated 6/15/2015 and references Bethea leaving "earlier this month."  That's no more than 2 weeks.  And suddenly Ashley Ford materializes?  To take the spot vacated by Dayna Finch who took the spot vacated by Jan Bethea?  And now Bethea says discrimination?

Hmmmmm.

Edited to add:  This might go further to explain the whole resignation thing than players complaining of mistreatment.  Or a combination of the two situations, maybe.  But, suddenly, a bit of a lightbulb goes on in this situation.

Even if these allegations are blown out of proportion and Yori would have been eventually been exonerated, she would be doing so while also dealing with her personal life. I'll take at face value that she's stepping down in the best interest of her family.

Thanks for that perspective.  I'm just really angry about the situation and I guess I should wait until more information comes forth.

Thanks for that perspective.  I'm just really angry about the situation and I guess I should wait until more information comes forth.

It could be that the divorce is bothersome enough (understandably) that it's affecting her job?  Maybe that's why her change in attitude/approach? 

Pure speculation.

Not sure where your getting your info. There's been a director in Operations for quite some time now.  Yori's first two years here, her director of Operations was Micah Parker. When he left Angela Timmons took over that position. Jan Bethea took over for Timmons when she left in O9. Dayna Finch took over for Bethea last year.  Paul Sanderford's Director of Operations was Irvin Williams.