Yori Resigns

hskr4life

I don't quite know what condition Pat is in these days, but if she is aware of what transpired, I hope she kicks his ass.

If it's wrong to prohibit players from dating each other, then why would it be wrong for a coach to date a player?

Isn't that discrimination too?

Oh Norm.... 

Seriously, I think it's a legit question.  What is the principle that we operate on that tells us instinctively that what Tyler Summit did was not only wrong but wrong enough that he should step down as coach for it?

I think it has something to do with the Subordinates.  He is her "boss, teacher"  so that is why he has to step down.  They are both adults and if was in the real world to wouldn't be a big deal. 

He's 25 years old.  Whichever player it was, she's probably at least 20.  I don't buy the inherent coercion argument.  They're both adults and there was obviously a mutual attraction because this was an ongoing thing, apparently, rather than just a one-time deal.

The problem with intra-squad dating -- and this is true whether it's coach-player or player-player -- is that it downgrades morale, creates extra drama within the team that impairs cohesion, raises questions/concerns about favoritism, and causes all kinds of distractions particularly if/when there's a break-up.

The La Tech women's coach steps down because he had a relationship with a player; the Prairie View A&M women's coach gets fired because she enforced a rule against intra-squad relationships.  I don't see much difference between the two types of situations, frankly.  They both have the same potential for deleterious effects on the chemistry of the team.  They should either both be OK or neither of them should be.

In my opinion, neither should be.

He's 25 years old.  Whichever player it was, she's probably at least 20.  I don't buy the inherent coercion argument.  They're both adults and there was obviously a mutual attraction because this was an ongoing thing, apparently, rather than just a one-time deal.

The problem with intra-squad dating -- and this is true whether it's coach-player or player-player -- is that it downgrades morale, creates extra drama within the team that impairs cohesion, raises questions/concerns about favoritism, and causes all kinds of distractions particularly if/when there's a break-up.

The La Tech women's coach steps down because he had a relationship with a player; the Prairie View A&M women's coach gets fired because she enforced a rule against intra-squad relationships.  I don't see much difference between the two types of situations, frankly.  They both have the same potential for deleterious effects on the chemistry of the team.  They should either both be OK or neither of them should be.

In my opinion, neither should be.

There's a serious problem here of Summit being at an incredibly high position of manipulation potential. Not to mention the fact that she came with him from Marquette, which was over 2 years ago - placing here in her teens when she made that decision. It's incredibly creepy, irresponsible, and morally wrong (in my opinion). 

It's a very scary precedent an administration would be setting to not fire him (or ask him to resign, whatever). Is there a distinct possibility that these two are mutually attracted to one another, and under different circumstances would have fallen just as equally "in love," (work with me here)? It's very possible. However, it's highly dangerous to allow this type of behavior, and certainly something that I would never allow in my hypothetical athletic department. Which I think we both agree upon. 

The point you brought up about PVA&M is very interesting to me. I personally cannot believe that she was fired for enforcing that... There has to be more to that story? Surely you would hope your athletic department was behind you on a decision like that? That is nuts...

Article in today's OWH about Yori's departure. She will be paid $1,200,000 because of her "firing".  If she left voluntarily $1,500,000

"Though Connie Yori resigned as Nebraska women’s basketball coach amid allegations of player mistreatment, she received a seven-figure settlement from her former employer."

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/former-husker-hoops-coach-connie-yori-to-receive-more-than/article_ca649adc-fd01-11e5-9a4d-e7ef8e71c9e8.html

Too bad for news like this out there. Lots more to the story. But it's over as far as Connie's concerned.

So OWH...how about a big article when the new coach arrives and how the positive future of UNL womens BBall program looks.

Do it up big please.

basketballjones, I posted a link to a story about the PVA&M coach getting fired.  Apparently, she got approval ahead of time from administration to suspend the players who had violated those rules and she was given permission.  Then, the players turned around and complained and she got fired for doing what they told her she was allowed to do.  Seems like entrapment to me. 

But, more to the point, the policy seems reasonable.  I've heard other coaches talk about it and say that, yep, that's the policy.  This day and age, you have to consider that it might happen and it can cause too many problems to allow it.

Now, having said that, I have to also add that I didn't realize the girl at issue followed him from Marquette.  That's weird.  And she's preggers now?  Yeah, he's gotta go.  Stupid 25-year-old wasn't mature enough to be a head guy anyway, and now he'll never work in this town again.

Article in today's OWH about Yori's departure. She will be paid $1,200,000 because of her "firing".  If she left voluntarily $1,500,000

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/former-husker-hoops-coach-connie-yori-to-receive-more-than/article_ca649adc-fd01-11e5-9a4d-e7ef8e71c9e8.html

Isn't it the other way around? Isn't she paid $1.2 mil because of her resigning and $1.5 mil if she had been fired?

Isn't it the other way around? Isn't she paid $1.2 mil because of her resigning and $1.5 mil if she had been fired?

Your correct. I wrote it backwards. The article explains it.

Also in the article :

"All three of Yori’s assistants — Amy Stephens, Britney Brown and Ashley Ford — had contracts that ran through the end of April 2017. However, a clause in each contract releases Nebraska from having to pay the assistants if their boss “voluntarily resigns” from the head coaching job."

Your correct. I wrote it backwards. The article explains it.

Also in the article :

"All three of Yori’s assistants — Amy Stephens, Britney Brown and Ashley Ford — had contracts that ran through the end of April 2017. However, a clause in each contract releases Nebraska from having to pay the assistants if their boss “voluntarily resigns” from the head coaching job."

Oh, shit.  I wonder if that was thought through.  That provision was probably in there in the event Connie decided to take a different job.  Not so that they could dump the assistants if Connie was offered the choice of death by firing squad or guillotine.  That might make an interesting lawsuit.  "Yeah, she quit, BUT ... she didn't really have the choice to stay; therefore ..."

Don't think anyone would seriously argue that CY "voluntarily" resigned.    I think the buyout is actually pretty close to what the firing would have cost.  $1.2 M vs. $1.5 but she gets the $1.2 quicker so I am guessing the present value is close to the same.  The resignation is simply to allow her to save face a little bit.   I would be very surprised (and very disappointed in my alma mater) if UNL did not honor the contracts of the assistants.

This stuck in my head a bit when BR tweeted it a few days ago

It turns out the girls were informed that they comment if they want but remember it might hurt your standing with the new coach.

Thus, it's not entirely shocking that the person most willing to go on the record is someone who doesn't have to worry about losing their scholarship.

This stuck in my head a bit when BR tweeted it a few days ago

It turns out the girls were informed that they comment if they want but remember it might hurt your standing with the new coach.

Thus, it's not entirely shocking that the person most willing to go on the record is someone who doesn't have to worry about losing their scholarship.

Just a job maybe, or are they hired by the University?

That Bethea and Tuttle can take down the most successful basketball coach in Nebraska history--men's and women's--is crazy.  We have deep problems in our athletic department.   We need to cut the head off of the snake, but I doubt it happens. 

That Bethea and Tuttle can take down the most successful basketball coach in Nebraska history--men's and women's--is crazy. We have deep problems in our athletic department. We need to cut the head off of the snake, but I doubt it happens.

Why is this a Bethea and Tuttle problem? If a coach has done them or the athletes wrong they have a obligation to speak up. I would love to see many of you fill the shoes of these two ladies for an entire year, or better than that, the entire length of time these two ladies have been employed and see if it is an easy job dealing with the health and well being of the student athletes while trying to please the head coach of a team that for the last 5-6 years has been very successful.

That Bethea and Tuttle can take down the most successful basketball coach in Nebraska history--men's and women's--is crazy. We have deep problems in our athletic department. We need to cut the head off of the snake, but I doubt it happens.

Why is this a Bethea and Tuttle problem? If a coach has done them or the athletes wrong they have a obligation to speak up. I would love to see many of you fill the shoes of these two ladies for an entire year, or better than that, the entire length of time these two ladies have been employed and see if it is an easy job dealing with the health and well being of the student athletes while trying to please the head coach of a team that for the last 5-6 years has been very successful.

I know them all.  It's not supposed to work this way.  We'll just have to disagree on who did who wrong. 

maybe, just maybe------coach yori had just reached a point in her life where she couldn't take anymore and said, "this is it". using the words of robert barone in the episode where debra and ray gave him money to help him out financially, "i need a break from my life!" with all the bickering that must have been evident a good share of the season, the "eye" on the program from admin,  plus her divorce proceedings, it must have taken a toll on coach yori. i had mentioned before i thought her uni postgame interview---i don't know, something just didn't feel right to me. anyway, hope this is over by mid-week---relating to the coaching search. that would give me a good feeling it is probably amy williams, otherwise, it may drag on for awhile.

maybe, just maybe------coach yori had just reached a point in her life where she couldn't take anymore and said, "this is it". using the words of robert barone in the episode where debra and ray gave him money to help him out financially, "i need a break from my life!" with all the bickering that must have been evident a good share of the season, the "eye" on the program from admin,  plus her divorce proceedings, it must have taken a toll on coach yori. i had mentioned before i thought her uni postgame interview---i don't know, something just didn't feel right to me. anyway, hope this is over by mid-week---relating to the coaching search. that would give me a good feeling it is probably amy williams, otherwise, it may drag on for awhile.

Clearly it had been a rough year, and another issue which hasn't gotten much discussion is the health of Connie's parents.  Anyone who has gone through that knows has tough it is.  Having said that, if it was unilateral--Connie just decided to resign on her own--you don't get a $1.2 million dollar buyout of your contract.  it's not difficult to connect the dots here. 

pretty cool, emily-------pretty cool! congrats!

some good news out there, finally.

That is awesome.   Can't think of a better diversion and get-away from the other stuff than this.   Emily, I'm jealous; going to The Masters is #1 on my bucket list, and you got it done before you're out of college!