I can already tell this is going to be a long frickin off-season.

From his highlight reel, it looks like he doesn't finish at the rim; he finishes above it.

Yep. #CantWait

I hope he's everything everybody hopes he will be. We've been spoiled by TP and AWIII into thinking transfers immediately blossom when they come here. Not trying to be negative, just maybe temper enthusiasm, but here's what SI wrote about him when he made a big play in the NCAA last year:

Gill hadn’t scored in a game since Feb. 28 and had produced more than two points in a game just once since Jan. 17. He’d been deemed a defensively liability, a former top-50 recruit averaging 2.4 points per game and destined for the transfer waver wire.

From his highlight reel, it looks like he doesn't finish at the rim; he finishes above it.

Yep. #CantWait

I hope he's everything everybody hopes he will be. We've been spoiled by TP and AWIII into thinking transfers immediately blossom when they come here. Not trying to be negative, just maybe temper enthusiasm, but here's what SI wrote about him when he made a big play in the NCAA last year:

Gill hadn’t scored in a game since Feb. 28 and had produced more than two points in a game just once since Jan. 17. He’d been deemed a defensively liability, a former top-50 recruit averaging 2.4 points per game and destined for the transfer waver wire.

He was a big fish in a big ocean then.  He is now a big fish that has been maturing for a year who is in a lot smaller pond.

Yep. #CantWait

Petteway & AW-III also only scored 2 to 3 ppg at their former schools, which were Texas Tech & KU, respectively. Gill's former squad won the national title while he was there. No one is expecting all-conference production in year one, at least as far as I'm concerned... So no need to temper anyone's enthusiasm. I am optimistic about the main players on the roster for 2016-17, and Anton Gill is part of that core group. Can't wait~!

Not really that much smaller.  The B1G isn't a tiny pond by any stretch of the imagination even if we still haven't won an ncaa game.  He still has to perform.  

don't get me wrong, he'll play and i think he'll be decent to good at worst -- but if he's got defensive deficiencies they are going to be exploited and he's going to lose PT.  This team has more than enough talent at his position to play someone else in crunch time for defense or otherwise.  our problems have been inside, not on the perimeter.

if he's truly that much better than webster and watson on the outside then we're a true veteran transfer big away from a 4-6 seed and a great shot at a sweet 16 run.  i could most definitely live with that.

Yep. #CantWait

I understand Chuck's words of caution about what to expect from Gill next year.  And that quote above sounds ominous.  However, for some context, let's compare Gill's numbers his sophomore year at Louisville with Andrew White's sophomore numbers at KU:

White averaged 2.4 points, 1.2 rebounds, 0.2 assists and 0.3 steals in 6.3 minutes of action.

Gill averaged 2.5 points, 0.8 rebounds, 0.5 assists and 0.5 steals in 9.4 minutes of action. 

Gill actually probably had more "real" minutes, which means he was probably more of the 4th or 5th option on the floor most of the time when he was out there, whereas White might have gotten more mop-up duty, meaning he'd have been maybe more of the 2nd or 3rd option when he'd get minutes.  I say that based on the number of minutes Gill was getting compared to White and also based on knowing who White was playing behind most of the time he was at KU.

So, I appreciate the word of caution, but you can't just look at the Louisville numbers and assume the worst, either.  Ultimately, there's a reason Anton Gill was a consensus top 50 recruit coming out of high school.

I watched Gill own NCST to send UL to the Elite Eight.  He was on a team with ridiculous guard play and was still contributing important minutes as an underclassman.  His situation is very comparable to AWIII.  He's a starter virtually anywhere else in the country.  I'd be shocked if he isn't one of the best SGs in the B1G. 

When you're not one of the top dogs of your recruiting class and you end up at a blue blood program, you really run the risk of not seeing the court often. I'm talking the UK's, KU's and Duke's of the world, where the basketball program is a cycling rotation of NBA players in their obligatory pre-rookie season. White and Gill are both good examples. Few others that come to mind are Semi Ojeleye, Conner Frankamp. Unfortunate thing for most guys like them is that they still are talented enough to play a lot of minutes for Elight Eight Kansas. The tape on Anton is pretty solid and I will be excited to see how well he can shoot next year. It's already clear that he's an upper tier athlete, even for the big 10

• 3 weeks later...

I find Shawn's comment a bit cryptic. If one builds programs does that not imply one also must build teams? Is it possible to build a program with losing teams? Conversely, if the teams always lose does this constitute a "program"?

A team is a year; a program is ongoing.  I think that's the difference.

And I don't think you can build teams with losing programs.  That's not building.  That's just rearranging the pile of bricks.

http://journalstar.com/sports/huskers/mens-basketball/eichorst-confident-miles-can-build-nu-into-consistent-winner/article_b77b7a95-4e00-5426-be77-194c3f1b917a.html

Eichorst met with two reporters Thursday at Memorial Stadium, per the reporters’ request, to discuss Miles, who’s entering his fifth season.

spectre13.png

I find Shawn's comment a bit cryptic. If one builds programs does that not imply one also must build teams? Is it possible to build a program with losing teams? Conversely, if the teams always lose does this constitute a "program"?

A team is a year; a program is ongoing.  I think that's the difference.

And I don't think you can build teams with losing programs.  That's not building.  That's just rearranging the pile of bricks.

Story of my life... why did I waste all that time as a preschooler when I could've been doing something more productive like invest in the stock market?

E0419.jpg

Go to twitter and watch the tweet-fight between OSU and Nebraska WR coaches. It's pure gold.

For Jimmy and me, what channel is it on?  And when we flip on our ebays, will it automatically pop up or do we need to turn it to a particular twitter channel?

Norm, you can turn it to this twitter channel:

https://twitter.com/WeatherTower/status/723533153957122048

He has a link to a regular article describing what happened.  But I'm not sure I understand what all the fuss is about.