I can already tell this is going to be a long frickin off-season.

Trepidation.  Anticipation.

First the trepidation:

How will we fill that last scholarship spot?

Will any additional vacancies come available?

If so, how will we fill them? 

We need a big.  Or two.  But I'd also love to take in another Andrew White/Anton Gill sitting out a year and becoming eligible when White and Tai Webster graduate.

The returning players have some work to do.

Will they get after it?  Will they come back better players than they were when the season ended?  Will they take, in some cases, the substantial leaps forward they're capable of and that we need them to take?

Now the anticipation:

Isaiah Roby.  I don't want to overhype the dude, but I'm really looking forward to seeing this kid in action.  To be clear, I think he'll be good for a freshman.  I'm not expecting him to come in and start right off the bat, but I think he could be a very solid back-up for Andrew White.  He'll be a good freshman.  Don't take my words as saying I think he's going to be all-conference.  My expectations are relative to his year in school.  He'll be a freshman.  He'll have a learning curve.  That doesn't mean that, as freshmen go, he won't still be ahead of the pack of freshmen.  I think he will be.

Jeriah Horne.  I think this kid could surprise some people.  I'm not totally sure about his athleticism but I think his skill level is upper D1.  If he has the athleticism to back it up, he could be special.  He's entering a packed race at the PF position.  He might find it tough to earn minutes with the guys we have returning.  But I wouldn't be surprised to see him find a spot in the regular rotation.

I can't wait to see what happens.  Seriously.  I feel like a kid at Christmas going to bed early in hopes of waking up to Santa Claus but realizing, deep down, it's going to be a long wait before it happens.

Right now my car is sitting in neutral.  I have a number of thoughts, but what will happen, who the heck knows.  Some of those dancing thoughts:

* Honestly, I watched a lot of tournament games.  We have better depth than many of the teams that were/are dancing.

* Our starting five from this past year was missing just one big man from being right in the thick of things.

* We need to improve our outside shooting, especially when you see the fantastic inside athleticism of some of these teams. 

* Our coaches will not be outcoached by many of the teams dancing.  A few yes, but not many.

* Sidebar...I have never been impressed by Boeheim, but the dude coaches SWAG.  That team has overachieved in the tourney.

* My car will go from neutral to 4th gear if we can get a quality big man.

* I wish my crystal ball would tell me if anyone is going to jump ship.  I do believe we need two big men this coming season...

* We need to bring in a couple great guards in 2017, I am fine with our back court next season, especially if Glynn, Tai and Gill stay healthy. 

* I still think Roby will play the SG and SF next year, but don't be shocked seeing playing a bit of PF (that stands for point forward)

I'm excited. I think we land a big man whether it be a ready to play grad transfer or freshman or a freshman that needs to redshirt. It is such a huge need that we can't not take one. Obviously I'm not talking about a total scrub, but if we took another Jake Hammond but actually give him the redshirt year he needed, I wouldn't be mad.

I'm excited about the depth. If we get a freshman big for next year, it would be the first time in the Miles era that we would have 13 scholarship players that are all eligible to play. I could only imagine the competition for playing time!!!

Trepidation.  Anticipation.

First the trepidation:

How will we fill that last scholarship spot?

Will any additional vacancies come available?

If so, how will we fill them? 

We need a big.  Or two.  But I'd also love to take in another Andrew White/Anton Gill sitting out a year and becoming eligible when White and Tai Webster graduate.

The returning players have some work to do.

Will they get after it?  Will they come back better players than they were when the season ended?  Will they take, in some cases, the substantial leaps forward they're capable of and that we need them to take?

Now the anticipation:

Isaiah Roby.  I don't want to overhype the dude, but I'm really looking forward to seeing this kid in action.  To be clear, I think he'll be good for a freshman.  I'm not expecting him to come in and start right off the bat, but I think he could be a very solid back-up for Andrew White.  He'll be a good freshman.  Don't take my words as saying I think he's going to be all-conference.  My expectations are relative to his year in school.  He'll be a freshman.  He'll have a learning curve.  That doesn't mean that, as freshmen go, he won't still be ahead of the pack of freshmen.  I think he will be.

Jeriah Horne.  I think this kid could surprise some people.  I'm not totally sure about his athleticism but I think his skill level is upper D1.  If he has the athleticism to back it up, he could be special.  He's entering a packed race at the PF position.  He might find it tough to earn minutes with the guys we have returning.  But I wouldn't be surprised to see him find a spot in the regular rotation.

I can't wait to see what happens.  Seriously.  I feel like a kid at Christmas going to bed early in hopes of waking up to Santa Claus but realizing, deep down, it's going to be a long wait before it happens.

Norm I think you're going to be surprised with Horne's athleticism, I was.  I realize being quick enough at the high school level is different than at the Div 1 level but I think he will do okay.

New guy, so take the following for what it's worth. Roby is filthy, if Devin Booker is 6-6, then Roby is 6-10. He look huge, even in a room of other huge kids. He will be a matchup nightmare starting as soon as this fall. His ball handling needs work, but there is absolutely nothing about him that says he cannot do it. That certainly isn't the case with many 6-8 wing types. Shot looks good, nice balance, good rotation. We don't have anyone that gets off the floor like him though, it's pogo stick. First transcendent type player we have had in my adult life in Lincoln.

New guy, so take the following for what it's worth. Roby is filthy, if Devin Booker is 6-6, then Roby is 6-10. He look huge, even in a room of other huge kids. He will be a matchup nightmare starting as soon as this fall. His ball handling needs work, but there is absolutely nothing about him that says he cannot do it. That certainly isn't the case with many 6-8 wing types. Shot looks good, nice balance, good rotation. We don't have anyone that gets off the floor like him though, it's pogo stick. First transcendent type player we have had in my adult life in Lincoln.

Being that you are close to Kentucky basketball...thoughts on Anton Gill and his future at Nebraska?  Thanks

Really can't claim any info other than the friend-of-a-friend type chatter. Louisville guys really hate UK, and vice versa. What I've heard from the Cardinal guys, he is as streaky as they come. Can shoot you in or out of a game. The only thing I think counts is he really wants to be in Lincoln, as he had a former teammate bad mouthing us from the jump. I'd imagine somewhere close to 40% behind the arc, but not a ton off the dribble. Don't think he will be a huge defensive liability either, although that is a knock on him.

Really can't claim any info other than the friend-of-a-friend type chatter. Louisville guys really hate UK, and vice versa. What I've heard from the Cardinal guys, he is as streaky as they come. Can shoot you in or out of a game. The only thing I think counts is he really wants to be in Lincoln, as he had a former teammate bad mouthing us from the jump. I'd imagine somewhere close to 40% behind the arc, but not a ton off the dribble. Don't think he will be a huge defensive liability either, although that is a knock on him.

Sounds like more "issues" involving Akoy.....

Sounds like more "issues" involving Akoy.....

So that would be the guy Nebraska didn't have room for, huh? #hmmm

Wow I thought akoy was one of the reasons Gill is at nebraska...

https://www.instagram.com/p/jaffSGsfsS/

but not a ton off the dribble. 

This is a little concerning though basically having another Andrew White who can cover the other team's SG will be nice. Glynn/Tai are going to be critical for us penetrating into the lane though Glynn will need to learn to finish this year in the trees.

This is a little concerning though basically having another Andrew White who can cover the other team's SG will be nice. Glynn/Tai are going to be critical for us penetrating into the lane though Glynn will need to learn to finish this year in the trees.

Not concerning for me.  I watched Gill closely during the scrimmage and I think I have a feel for what his "game" is like.  He's not an Andrew White kind of player.  He'll slash to the rim very effectively.  He also has the ability to shoot off the dribble and, more importantly, he has a very quick catch and release and needs very little space to get off a shot.  He's that guy who's not afraid to shoot with a defender in his zip code that I've been wishing for for so long.

He'll be a completely different offensive player than either Tai or Andrew.

My memory of Anton Gill from the exhibition scrimmage at the beginning of the season is this: he can get his shot off any time and from anywhere, off the dribble or off an assist, and under heavy pressure too -- and it goes in the hoop.

Anyone remember this differently?

My memory of Anton Gill from the exhibition scrimmage at the beginning of the season is this: he can get his shot off any time and from anywhere, off the dribble or off an assist, and under heavy pressure too -- and it goes in the hoop.

Anyone remember this differently?

That would be my scout as well.