geno slams uconn critics...

whoopdeedoo

Why would this guy complain about anything....especially what someone else says.

talks cheap.....My old motto...let the play on the court do the talkin

The womens game for now and into the foreseeable future, just doesn't have the numbers of high quality players, that the men's game does.

There are 30+ men wanting to get on every major NCAA Bball team, that are capable of major college play.

It's just not that way currently, for the women.

So when #1  (or #2 or #3 player) goes to a certain women's coach almost every year...it's much easier to be dominate. That's where Geno is today. He gets the top player in country (or at least top 1-5 player every year so he dominates.)

Not saying it's right wrong or otherwise...just where we are today.

Sure he's a good coach....but the talent he has is the difference. Give a few other ...good...coaches his squad, and they would be dominate too.

This was a discussion brought up in our house today. I see both sides but I'm conflicted. On one hand, why should he be punished for being good? All those players work their tails off to be that good. There's no reason they should have to play down a level to please everyone else. Now on the other hand with everyone saying that all the other teams need to "get better", there are teams like Notre Dame and South Carolina who have great talent and they can not beat them (minus Notre Dame a few years ago and Stanford last year, i think). The real issue is coaching. Either it will level back out after he retires or coaches are going to have to seriously look at the way they do things.

Another part of this discussion was what it was going to take for teams to be competitive with them. What we eventually decided is that teams all across the board have to be MUCH MORE conditioned. There are certainly players who can play 40 mins a game every game, but the whole Uconn team could probably do it, if needed, and they are going 100mph all the time. 

After typing this i realize i jumped around a lot lol. Any one else have any thoughts? What will it take for teams to reach their level, consistently? Can it be done?

Guy is right, there was a time I might turn on the Women's tournament despite us not playing.  Not right now, the tournament is just to see who will be second best.  Not good for the game for one team to be that dominant.

I'm sure that is how everyone felt back in the wooden days with Kareem and Walton etc.

Guy is right, there was a time I might turn on the Women's tournament despite us not playing.  Not right now, the tournament is just to see who will be second best.  Not good for the game for one team to be that dominant.

I'm sure that is how everyone felt back in the wooden days with Kareem and Walton etc.

Very well could be and I would have the same impression of the men's game if it were true now too.

UConn is sending a message to the field with those huge wins.  I watched Mississippi State play in Austin and was unimpressed yet they made the tourney and the round of 16.  I was impressed with Washington today and Syracuse.  Nice to see some different teams in the Women's Final Four.  Baylor may need to be on guard against Oregon St. but I think the Bears are too quick and too deep for the PAC 12 Champions.

Geno is the best womens basketball coach in the world!!! He may get a few good players and 1 really good player to begin with. But there is a reason he is getting those girls and that's because all the former players are saying they wouldn't be the player in todays world if it weren't for him. He just knows how to coach and get a team to were they need to be. If you want to play for UCONN you have to want to be in shape to play for 40 minutes or you will sit the bench till you can. They got the Big East freshman of the year 2 years ago. She hardly played at all this year because she cant do it and I guarantee she wont play a lot next year unless she gets into better shape this summer. I watch everyone of their games throughout the year. I have them in my calendar. I would rather watch them beat a team by 60 and actually enjoy a womens team that can play. Than 2 teams that score 50 a piece and go into overtime and turn the ball over 50 times between the two of them.

Sophomore you are SPOT ON. People who have a problem with Uconn more then anything are jealous of their success. It's one thing to get the best players in the country, it's a whole other thing to be able to get them to be able to play with one another and check their egos at the door. Not only does he get the most athletic kids but more importantly he gets the most competitive kids. Winners become winners because they hate losing more then they enjoy winning. Regarding conditioning: Take a look at Stefanie Dolson from her freshmen year to her senior year, enough said, she made a commitment and the result speaks for itself.

Uconn is GREAT for women's basketball because they set the standard of what the game should be and where it needs to get too. Winning isn't entitled to anybody, you gotta earn it, Uconn earns it more then anyone else. Why do people get demonized for being successful at something? People love calling for a coaches head when they're losing and some hate Geno because he wins too much, really? I respect our program and especially the girls within it, every one of them. I guess Golden State is bad for the NBA also? Get over it by getting with it.

I think Geno is the best coach in the country, regardless of sport.

I think Geno has taken all of the drama out of his sport; he's that good.

I used to root against Jordan's Bulls because they won so often, and I suspect I'll do the same if the Warriors continue their winning ways over the coming years.  That said, I don't pay nearly as much attention to the NBA as I did when Jordan was doing his thing.  So there's less chance I'll get annoyed by the Warriors.

Geno has been going his thing for so long and has been basically the only game in town for the past ten years that I've grown tired of them.

I was thinking this morning, though, that without question UCONN is the greatest basketball school in history (combining men's and women's programs).

Geno is the best womens basketball coach in the world!!! He may get a few good players and 1 really good player to begin with. But there is a reason he is getting those girls and that's because all the former players are saying they wouldn't be the player in todays world if it weren't for him. He just knows how to coach and get a team to were they need to be. If you want to play for UCONN you have to want to be in shape to play for 40 minutes or you will sit the bench till you can. They got the Big East freshman of the year 2 years ago. She hardly played at all this year because she cant do it and I guarantee she wont play a lot next year unless she gets into better shape this summer. I watch everyone of their games throughout the year. I have them in my calendar. I would rather watch them beat a team by 60 and actually enjoy a womens team that can play. Than 2 teams that score 50 a piece and go into overtime and turn the ball over 50 times between the two of them.

Not sure anyone would argue he is the best women's coach,

I will disagree he gets just 1 really good player to begin with.

I agree some of the women playing the game at this level need to get into much better shape, seldom (it does happen) see that in the men's game.

That all said, one team winning all the time and by that margin is bad for the game and as others have said, will hurt viewership of the women's game.

I agree some of the women playing the game at this level need to get into much better shape, seldom (it does happen) see that in the men's game.

That all said, one team winning all the time and by that margin is bad for the game and as others have said, will hurt viewership of the women's game.

Then colleges need to start firing their coaches and finding coaches that want to coach the way Geno does. You can't tell me all the kids coming out of high school with their rankings that Notre Dame and South Carolina and Baylor don't have girls coming out of high school with the same star ratings than UCONN does. Colleges need to start using that as a recruiting tool hey come to this college and lets get a team together that can take UCONN down. I don't think it would matter. I think Geno could take 5 top 100 recruits and still beat ND SC and Baylor who could have the top 5 recruits in the same class. Their isn't nothing Geno and UCONN can do about it till other schools want to start coaching and playing the same.

Then colleges need to start firing their coaches and finding coaches that want to coach the way Geno does. You can't tell me all the kids coming out of high school with their rankings that Notre Dame and South Carolina and Baylor don't have girls coming out of high school with the same star ratings than UCONN does. Colleges need to start using that as a recruiting tool hey come to this college and lets get a team together that can take UCONN down. I don't think it would matter. I think Geno could take 5 top 100 recruits and still beat ND SC and Baylor who could have the top 5 recruits in the same class. Their isn't nothing Geno and UCONN can do about it till other schools want to start coaching and playing the same.

Again, not sure anyone is arguing this with you.  What folks are saying is IF one team for whatever the reason is, is beating everyone, every year it is NOT good for the game in the long run.  I have no interest in watching UCONN beat the hell out of someone every night.  I would rather watch Poker (and in my life I can say I've watched a grand total of maybe 2 minutes of poker on TV) or old "Everyone Loves Raymond" reruns.

We get way too caught up on this board about stars and rankings.  Bottom line is there are about 10 girls a year that leave hs nationwide that are true physical difference makers day 1 and they are very easy to spot. Geno is a great great coach and maximizes kids development, but he is getting 2-4 of those 10 kids every year. The other 6-8 are spreading out to other schools.   and then those schools that get them don't likely get more than 1 of them, and likely only get them every couple of years.  Because of this Geno is able to create an atmosphere of competition that other schools can't.  At other schools kids can work hard, but not buy n 100 percent, and still get on the court and have some success because they are still better than the other kids on their team. At UConn, if a kid doesn't buy in 100 percent no matter how talented, they have somebody else that will take those minutes.  That is how the top 40 mens teams are because there is so much less separation with men in ability. 

After the first 10 the difference between number 25-75 is a slight talent separation at best, and the difference between 25 -250 isn't even that extreme.  No guarantees number 50 is any more successful than number 250 if 250 works harder.

It's not just coaches changing, it's players buying in to what it takes. How good do you want to be and what price are you willing to pay for it? Viewership is up 40% according to ratings, that's because people who normally don't watch WBB are wanting to see what this Uconn thing is all about. Similar to Tiger Woods bringing people into golf that otherwise never watched a golf tournament. Look what happened in golf, players bought in to physically getting themselves in shape. You don't see a lot of slobs on a golf tourney telecast anymore. Geno gets the "hardcore" kid that wants to not only take their game to another level but more importantly is willing to do whatever it takes all the while buying in to his system. He's the hardest coach to play for because he DEMANDS the best you have in you. Uconn's program is where it's at because Auriemma didn't take a defeatist approach, similar to Summit's program when she entered coaching. For those that " wont watch", consider yourself a defeatist. It's ok to watch our girls thump inferior talent tho right? Get over it and get with it.

That's up to the colleges to do better recruiting not GENO. But lets watch next year. They have 1 top 100 recruit and 2 other recruits coming in. Lets see how these 2 non top 100 recruits do compared to the other top 25 kids that the other colleges got. I bet these 2 end up being able to outplay the rest of them when its all over and done.

Baylor will be a major challenge again going forward. When they get several good kids they can compete with UCONN they just can't draw them quite as regularly.  They have the best player in the country coming in Lauren Cox.   Added to what they currently have there is a very good chance they win a national title again in the next 4 years.

Baylor will be a major challenge again going forward. When they get several good kids they can compete with UCONN they just can't draw them quite as regularly.  They have the best player in the country coming in Lauren Cox.   Added to what they currently have there is a very good chance they win a national title again in the next 4 years.

Between UCONN winning the other three in that span.

In the last 4 or 5 years they have had people outside of the top 10 though. Hartley Dolson Stokes. He still can make those type of players dominate outside of the top 10. Stewart is great and I love watching her. Her Jefferson and Tuck are the reason they have been so good these 4 years with some help from Lewis Dolson Stokes Hartley. Next year will deff be a different story they wont have the inside presence unless their big girl takes a big turn this summer. But they will have Gabby Williams and Kia Nurse who were both outside the top 10 who are great. Chong was 93rd out of high school.