Ranking Our probable Starting Lineup for Next Year

If we have a serviceable 5, our starting 1-4 is easily top half.

Watson - top half (I realize there are several right around his level, but there is no cut above the rest in the upper eschelon next season assuming Melo is gone)

Gill/Webster - top half

White - He's the best SF in the conference next season from what I've seen.  

Morrow/Jacobson - Combined, top half at the 4, imo

Also, I really think Roby will be an impact freshman at the 3 or 4.    

If we don't have a 5, everything is thrown completely off.   

If we have a serviceable 5, our starting 1-4 is easily top half.

Watson - top half (I realize there are several right around his level, but there is no cut above the rest in the upper eschelon next season assuming Melo is gone)

Gill/Webster - top half

White - He's the best SF in the conference next season from what I've seen.  

Morrow/Jacobson - Combined, top half at the 4, imo

Also, I really think Roby will be an impact freshman at the 3 or 4.    

If we don't have a 5, everything is thrown completely off.   

This is an interesting observation. 

If you could give the PGs (or any position) in the conference a grade of their skill and athleticism on a zero to 100 scale where zero is horrible, 100 is perfect, and 50 is average, the range of scores might be from 75 to 35 from top to bottom.  Let's say.  The guys at the 5th through 10th positions within the conference might be separated by just a few points.  There might be more significant separation between the top 2 or 3 and the bottom 2 or 3.  But the guys in the middle are going to be fairly close to each other.  And probably more separation at the top than the bottom.

The other thing is that there will be some cross-over in terms of where each team stands at each position.  There might be a team or two that has top-third talent at each spot, right?  But there will also be teams that have that one really good player but are just so-so everywhere else or that team that's pretty solid most places with one or two weak links (think of us this season not having that big man.)  A team that has top-half talent across the board is probably going to find itself in the top third overall. 

So, for example, if each of our players at the 1-3 positions are in the top half of the conference, I would say it wouldn't be a stretch at all to suggest that we'd have an overall backcourt in the top third of the conference.  I'm not quite ready to go that far.  I'm more willing to say we're top third at SF and middle third at worst at PG and SG.  That probably puts the whole back court group somewhere in the top half of the league.  I'm comfortable with that.

Our back court could be in the top 1/3 of the conference if you include White.  Everywhere else probably puts us in the bottom 1/3. 

Wisconsin returns everyone, Michigan should have Levert back, Ohio St. was young, Michigan St. has some good young players, Purdue returns Edwards and Haas.  One team that should fall off is Iowa.  Others on this board are probably more up to date on incoming talent than I am.

Lavert was a senior.

Our back court could be in the top 1/3 of the conference if you include White. Everywhere else probably puts us in the bottom 1/3.

Wisconsin returns everyone, Michigan should have Levert back, Ohio St. was young, Michigan St. has some good young players, Purdue returns Edwards and Haas. One team that should fall off is Iowa. Others on this board are probably more up to date on incoming talent than I am.

Lavert was a senior.
Also I think Edwards has declared for the draft. Let's hope he sticks there as he hasn't signed an agent yet. Unless I'm thinking of Swanigan which is very possible...

Our back court could be in the top 1/3 of the conference if you include White. Everywhere else probably puts us in the bottom 1/3.

Wisconsin returns everyone, Michigan should have Levert back, Ohio St. was young, Michigan St. has some good young players, Purdue returns Edwards and Haas. One team that should fall off is Iowa. Others on this board are probably more up to date on incoming talent than I am.

Lavert was a senior.
Also I think Edwards has declared for the draft. Let's hope he sticks there as he hasn't signed an agent yet. Unless I'm thinking of Swanigan which is very possible...
I believe it was Caleb Swanigan.

• 1 month later...

1)  PG - we are not top 1/3.  We are middle to bottom 1/3.  Glynn Watson didn't even beat out Bennie Parker for a starting spot.  C'mon guys, I'm as hopeful as the next guy, but man you gotta be real.

2)  SG - Hope top 1/3.  But, remains to be seen with Gill.

3)  SF - Top 1/3.  Andrew is a great player, only to get better.

4)  PF - Bottom 1/3.  We need a miracle in recruiting.

5)  C - Bottom 1/3.  We need another miracle.

Has the miracle been delivered?

• 7 months later...
On 3/25/2016 at 8:37 PM, hhcdimes said:

PG currently better than/as good as Watson

Corey Sanders - Rutgers

JaQuan Lyle - Ohio St

Bryant McIntosh - NW

Derek Walton Jr - Mich (4 star frosh coming in as well)

Melo Trimble - Maryland (4 star frosh coming in as well)

Incoming

Tony Carr - Penn St (4 stars)

Cassius Winston - Mich St (4 stars)

I'd love to know if you still feel this way?

2 hours ago, big red22 said:

I'd love to know if you still feel this way?

Sanders and McIntosh are struggling this year.

I think you can make arguments for Watson, Trimble (assuming you don't consider him the 2 guard), Walton, and Nate Mason for the best PG in the league.

Watson definitely is top 1/3rd this year.