Roby

Huskerpapa

I thought that since Roby is signed, I would place this in a new thread here.  This is worth a view.  First, there are a number of photos that are pretty cool.  More importantly is the article that provides some good insight as to what we can expect over the next few years.  I like this kid.  Enjoy.

http://www.saukvalley.com/2016/03/18/humble-roby-hungry-for-challenge-of-next-level/ach0fih/

The Nebraska recruit led the area in points per game (19.7), rebounds (10.5), assists (5.5) and blocks (3.9).

His career numbers place him second on Dixon’s all-time scoring list with 1,328 points, and first in rebounding (939) and blocks (327); he’s also third in assists (366). Dixon’s Cal Jarrett holds the program’s points-scored record with 1,392...

On the basketball court, Roby impacted games in a number of ways. He scored points with jumpers and dunks, grabbed rebounds and dished assists. LeBlanc watched the talented 6-8 forward earn a scholarship to play at Nebraska this fall.

But when LeBlanc thinks of Roby, he doesn’t think of his teammate as superstar, but more of a relateable friend he grew up playing basketball with. 

“It’s crazy to think he’s going to the Big Ten,” LeBlanc said. “I’m so happy for him. I wouldn’t change a thing about him. Anyone else [with his talent] could be a jerk. You see that a lot, but not Isaiah. He always cares about everybody.

“I’m glad he is who he is,” LeBlanc added. “I’m really excited for him, and excited that he’ll be able to play against other people with his skill level. I’m looking forward to seeing what he can do.”

Did you pick up the vibe that both our incoming recruits are coming in with the intent to play immediately:

“He’s hungry,” Roby said of Horne. “He wants to play and start his first year. I love that. We’re going to be competing every day. It’s going to be fun.”

Did you pick up the vibe that both our incoming recruits are coming in with the intent to play immediately:

“He’s hungry,” Roby said of Horne. “He wants to play and start his first year. I love that. We’re going to be competing every day. It’s going to be fun.”

I love it... Every recruit we get should have that attitude from here on out.

Roby will be fun to watch play Husker hoops. A taller, more athletic, better shooting version of Shavon.

Honestly, that's yet to seen.  I know what Shavon's strengths were from having watched him for 4 years.  And, while we thought as a freshman that he'd be good, I don't think it was until his sophomore year that we got a sense of what the full package of his skills looked like.  He slumped a bit last year but came back strong for his senior campaign.

And, to give Shavon full credit, he was one of the best we've had in the last 15-20 years -- and maybe in the history of the program -- at taking his defender off the dribble, getting to the rim and finishing.  There's a reason he's tied with Aleks Maric for 5th all-time in scoring at Nebraska.

We don't yet totally know how Isaiah's skills will translate to the next level, but based on what I've seen and what I think I can discern from what I've seen, I think he'll be a good perimeter shooter.  He has some slashing ability but it's a different kind of slashing than Shavon.  Shavon was physical and could finish against contact.  Isaiah is more of the finesse type of slasher, it seems to me.

And Shavon was sneaky athletic, so I don't know that we can say Zay will be more athletic than Shavon.  That takes a bit away from Shavon. 

Having said all that, though, I am extremely excited about this kid.  I anticipate that he will be a good shooter.  I think he'll be pretty good on the bounce.  He seems to have a nose for the basket from all the video I've seen.  And, perhaps most significantly, I expect him to be a good passer.  This all comes through when you watch tape of him.  I think he'll be good, but I think he and Shavon are different kinds of players so I'm not sure I would compare the two other than to say I think Zay will make us all proud just like Shavon has.

Roby will be fun to watch play Husker hoops. A taller, more athletic, better shooting version of Shavon.

Honestly, that's yet to seen. I know what Shavon's strengths were from having watched him for 4 years. And, while we thought as a freshman that he'd be good, I don't think it was until his sophomore year that we got a sense of what the full package of his skills looked like. He slumped a bit last year but came back strong for his senior campaign.

And, to give Shavon full credit, he was one of the best we've had in the last 15-20 years -- and maybe in the history of the program -- at taking his defender off the dribble, getting to the rim and finishing. There's a reason he's tied with Aleks Maric for 5th all-time in scoring at Nebraska.

We don't yet totally know how Isaiah's skills will translate to the next level, but based on what I've seen and what I think I can discern from what I've seen, I think he'll be a good perimeter shooter. He has some slashing ability but it's a different kind of slashing than Shavon. Shavon was physical and could finish against contact. Isaiah is more of the finesse type of slasher, it seems to me.

And Shavon was sneaky athletic, so I don't know that we can say Zay will be more athletic than Shavon. That takes a bit away from Shavon.

Having said all that, though, I am extremely excited about this kid. I anticipate that he will be a good shooter. I think he'll be pretty good on the bounce. He seems to have a nose for the basket from all the video I've seen. And, perhaps most significantly, I expect him to be a good passer. This all comes through when you watch tape of him. I think he'll be good, but I think he and Shavon are different kinds of players so I'm not sure I would compare the two other than to say I think Zay will make us all proud just like Shavon has.

Agree here and just want to also point out that we may see even less of what Zay could bring to the table during his freshman year versus what we saw of Shavon during his freshman campaign. And that's not a bad thing it's just that they each come/came into the program with differently stocked rosters. Shields came in with a prime opportunity to play while Zay may have to earn minutes. Expectations are entirely different as well. We didn't know what we were (supposed) to be getting with Shavon. Zay, being ranked and all, we think we know what we are supposed to be getting.

Honestly, that's yet to seen.  I know what Shavon's strengths were from having watched him for 4 years.  And, while we thought as a freshman that he'd be good, I don't think it was until his sophomore year that we got a sense of what the full package of his skills looked like.  He slumped a bit last year but came back strong for his senior campaign.

And, to give Shavon full credit, he was one of the best we've had in the last 15-20 years -- and maybe in the history of the program -- at taking his defender off the dribble, getting to the rim and finishing.  There's a reason he's tied with Aleks Maric for 5th all-time in scoring at Nebraska.

We don't yet totally know how Isaiah's skills will translate to the next level, but based on what I've seen and what I think I can discern from what I've seen, I think he'll be a good perimeter shooter.  He has some slashing ability but it's a different kind of slashing than Shavon.  Shavon was physical and could finish against contact.  Isaiah is more of the finesse type of slasher, it seems to me.

And Shavon was sneaky athletic, so I don't know that we can say Zay will be more athletic than Shavon.  That takes a bit away from Shavon. 

Having said all that, though, I am extremely excited about this kid.  I anticipate that he will be a good shooter.  I think he'll be pretty good on the bounce.  He seems to have a nose for the basket from all the video I've seen.  And, perhaps most significantly, I expect him to be a good passer.  This all comes through when you watch tape of him.  I think he'll be good, but I think he and Shavon are different kinds of players so I'm not sure I would compare the two other than to say I think Zay will make us all proud just like Shavon has.

I would think saying Shavon was "sneaky athletic" takes more away from Shavon than saying Zay will be more athletic than Shavon. 

But really, it doesn't matter.

Zay is the kid I'm most looking forward to seeing on campus than any recruit we've had in some time.  Is that unfair to the kid?  Maybe.  But I think he's going to get big minutes early, and I think he's going to deserve them.

Shavon is one of my favorite players to ever wear a Husker uni, any sport. So, take what I wrote as high praise to Zay rather than discounting Shields in any way. Shavon is a beast.

Zay is, in fact, taller. I think he's more athletic (check out his youtube's), and he seems to have a very good shot & court-vision.

Guess we'll all find out soon enough how Roby's game translates to the bigger stage. I have high hopes that Zay will be great at NU!

Shavon is one of my favorite players to ever wear a Husker uni, any sport. So, take what I wrote as high praise to Zay rather than discounting Shields in any way. Shavon is a beast.

Zay is, in fact, taller. I think he's more athletic (check out his youtube's), and he seems to have a very good shot & court-vision.

Guess we'll all find out soon enough how Roby's game translates to the bigger stage. I have high hopes that Zay will be great at NU!

Well said.

Like all of you above, I'm excited to see Roby on campus, but he will have a hard time being as good as Shavon. Shavon is one of those guys where 10 years from now, we will be like, "Damn Shields was a great player." Hell, we already are saying this! I hope that Roby gets to be as good, if not better than Shavon, because that more than likely translates to us having major success in the near future!

Like all of you above, I'm excited to see Roby on campus, but he will have a hard time being as good as Shavon. Shavon is one of those guys where 10 years from now, we will be like, "Damn Shields was a great player." Hell, we already are saying this! I hope that Roby gets to be as good, if not better than Shavon, because that more than likely translates to us having major success in the near future!

Yep, pretty much. All good in the neighborhood as far as I'm concerned.

• 1 month later...

Wow!

I have to say thank you guys for the praises and expectations I am proud to join the husker fan base

Cant wait for the season to start

I know Isaiah apreciates it as well

Sent from my LGUS992 using Tapatalk

Welcome!!  Has Isaiah mentioned anything about hearing if our prospective center recruit is leaning our way?  Thought he may have been in contact?

Well what a crazy day and to top it all off

a friend of mines who owns a restaurant said he had 3 canadiens come in today hmmmm

Im not a superstitious man by any means but im liking these coincidences:-)

Sent from my LGUS992 using Tapatalk

Sounds good to me!