0-7 : Revisited

Some might say this is an exercise in masochism. Some might say it is pathetic on several levels I'm not comfortable going into today. I found it cathartic. Name the Nebraska tournament losses in the order of most disappointing/devastating.

1.  '91 NU vs. Xavier - The deepest and most talented Husker team ever. Their greatest weakness 

was not understanding how truly good they were.

2.  '94 NU vs. Penn -  Red hot off a Big 8 tourney win, we fell in love with the 3 ball and lost to an

Ivy league school. An IVY league school.

3.  '14 NU vs. Baylor -  Finished 4th in a tough B1G, then got smoked like a New York joint.

4.  '98 NU vs. Arkansas - A Lue/Belcher back court couldn't get past a so so Razorback squad.

5.  ' 93 NU vs. New Mexico St. - In a parellel universe NMSU is STILL dunking on us somewhere.

6.  '92 NU vs. UConn - Didn't think we'd win this one, and we didn't.

7.  '86 NU vs. W. Kentucky - Hoppen was hurt, Bernard Day was the best player. So unexpected it

really was a "just happy to be there" moment.

The '91 loss is by far the most devastating.  NU had a very good team but didn't show up when it counted. Pete Gillen was a hot coach at Xavier at the time.  I was in San Antonio when Baylor exposed NU and that was disappointing.  The '86 team, though short handed, battled WKU the entire game. (mostly remember that game for Moe Iba's resignation in the post-game press conference.

'14 NU team was very mental fragile.  I think that got exposed after our complete meltdown against OSU in the conference tourney.  They looked like they had no confidence with anything after that game and through our Baylor loss as well.  They were also very strong mentally when things were going good.  Almost like they didn't think they could lose during that long winning streak we had at the end of the year.  There was never really a balance.

I think that if you put that team in our situation this year, they would have had more than a 4 game winning streak that we had when we beat MSU, Rutgers, Minny, and Illinois.  Likewise though, I think we lose to Rutgers and if not, certainly Wisconsin in the tourney. Just based on the losing streak that we endured to end the year.

I had horrible seats near the top of the Metrodome in 91, a horrible place to watch a horrible game. Highlights of trip:  1)Riding the elevator with Coach K and Billy McCaffrey in our hotel which was the same one as Duke was staying. 2) Watching LSU with two 7 footers (one being Shaq) play poorly. 3) Seeing Rich King sink a three pointer near the end of the game-I think it was his only one.

Sad to watch March Madness and not be a part of it- next year right? next year...

No around here it's not next year, it's always the year after next year.  But it never happens.  Been following husker hoops since Al Maxey and Hershall Turner played for Jerry Bush.  I will tell you how far back that is. Al Maxey played on the team from Indianapolis that got beat by the Huskers in the movie 'Hoosiers'.  I am 68 years old and keep hoping but it just never seems to happen. 

Sad to watch March Madness and not be a part of it- next year right? next year...

No around here it's not next year, it's always the year after next year.  But it never happens.  Been following husker hoops since Al Maxey and Hershall Turner played for Jerry Bush.  I will tell you how far back that is. Al Maxey played on the team from Indianapolis that got beat by the Huskers in the movie 'Hoosiers'.  I am 68 years old and keep hoping but it just never seems to happen. 

I think the runners up were from Muncie, IN.

Xavier loss was the worst.  At the time it was one of the first 13 beating a 4 and if we could have taken care of business basketball at Nebraska could have been much different.

Also the Xavier game was the one where we found out after that some of the guys might not get to play and it was a great big cluster,  If we had the internet back then we might have known more pre game and then known we weren't ready to play.

It was just tough to watch.

I prefer to look at how close we actually are this year. Some key injuries at the wrong time took us down:

no Shavon at Wisconsin,

no Shavon and no Ed in multiple games, and

a <100% Shavon, Ed, Andrew, etc., at the same time in several games.

With those injuries, a lack of depth is the real killer this year, resulting in some heart-breaking and close losses.

But the development of our freshmen and the influx of high-quality new talent will solve a significant part of the depth problem

2015-16 is an "almost" year with better days ahead. The 2015-16 season and recruiting commitments actually show a program on the rise, with great young talent to build upon.

As someone who spent their salad days worshipping Carl McPipe and then Andre Smith, 5 years of courtside seats during the Danny Nee era, truer words were never spoken. It's NEVER wait til next year, it's ALWAYS the year AFTER the next one...                   

Xavier loss was the worst.  At the time it was one of the first 13 beating a 4 and if we could have taken care of business basketball at Nebraska could have been much different.

Also the Xavier game was the one where we found out after that some of the guys might not get to play and it was a great big cluster,  If we had the internet back then we might have known more pre game and then known we weren't ready to play.

It was just tough to watch.

It was a 14-seed vs 3-seed in '91. Sad to see, unfortunately.

That's right it was even worse.  Aren't we like only one of two or three teams to lose the 3/14 first round?  And at that time we were first if I remember correct.

Bob Huggins just phoned in and wanted me to relay that it is not nearly that rare! Nor were we the first.

In the 14 vs. 3 matchups...

There have been twenty-one 14 seeds that have defeated 3 seeds in the first round:

Year Winner                          Loser            Score

2016 Stephen F. Austin         West Virginia 70-56

2015 Georgia State               Baylor 57-56

2015 UAB                              Iowa State 60-59

2014 Mercer                          Duke 78-71

2013 Harvard                         New Mexico 68-62

2010 Ohio                              Georgetown 97-83

2006 Northwestern State       Iowa 64-63

2005 Bucknell                        Kansas 64-63

1999 Weber State                  North Carolina 76-74

1998 Richmond                     South Carolina 62-61

1997 Chattanooga                 Georgia 73-70

1995 Old Dominion                Villanova 89-81 (3OT)

1995 Weber State                   Michigan State 79-72

1992 East Tennessee State    Arizona 87-80

1991 Xavier                             Nebraska 89-84

1990 Northern Iowa                Missouri 74-71

1989 Siena                              Stanford 80-78

1988 Murray State                  NC State 78-75

1987 Austin Peay                    Illinois 68-67

1986 Cleveland State              Indiana 83-79

1986 Arkansas-Little Rock      Notre Dame 90-83  

Not all 14 seeds are created equally. Weber State and Stephen F Austin and Xavier are on the high end. That UAB team last year sucked. 

That 1991 Xavier team had 3 returning starters from a Sweet 16 team and a freshman named Brian Grant. Xavier had been to six straight NCAA Tournaments before that game against Nebraska. It was a trap all the way. 

And, quite honestly, Nebraska got a lot of junk pairings. Penn was a laugh. A 24-2 11 seed that outscored teams by 12 per game and hadn't lost in 2 months? A 11 seed?

UConn was a tough one, because it really had lost a ton of games toward the end of the season and probably earned a No. 8 seed.

The best shot Nebraska had was in 1998, against Arkansas, because Arkansas pressed and Nebraska had Lue, who could break presses. Arkansas went zone late, as I recall, and Nebraska couldn't hit a thing.

Not all 14 seeds are created equally. Weber State and Stephen F Austin and Xavier are on the high end. That UAB team last year sucked. 

That 1991 Xavier team had 3 returning starters from a Sweet 16 team and a freshman named Brian Grant. Xavier had been to six straight NCAA Tournaments before that game against Nebraska. It was a trap all the way. 

And, quite honestly, Nebraska got a lot of junk pairings. Penn was a laugh. A 24-2 11 seed that outscored teams by 12 per game and hadn't lost in 2 months? A 11 seed?

UConn was a tough one, because it really had lost a ton of games toward the end of the season and probably earned a No. 8 seed.

The best shot Nebraska had was in 1998, against Arkansas, because Arkansas pressed and Nebraska had Lue, who could break presses. Arkansas went zone late, as I recall, and Nebraska couldn't hit a thing.

Agreed, the Xavier and Penn games were not the upsets they appear. Xavier had Byron Larkin (Barry's brother) and another terrific guard, and our strength was in the front court. Penn had Matt Maloney, who played for the Rockets and a couple of other NBA teams.